• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error or Not

5 posts in this topic

Hi Mason,

Well, in looking at your photos, I'm not seeing any kind of errors on your coin.  It's got some environmental damage going on, which is what is causing the appearance that you are seeing. 

Sorry the news wasn't better

~Tom

I have 1942 with the mint mark above Monticello and I have this one I’ve just found so I was not sure why mints in different spots but as I researched just a little it was a transition year however all mint marks for 1942 should be above Monticello is as far as I’ve gotten gonna continue a little research 

4 minutes ago, Mason254 said:

I have 1942 with the mint mark above Monticello and I have this one I’ve just found so I was not sure why mints in different spots but as I researched just a little it was a transition year however all mint marks for 1942 should be above Monticello is as far as I’ve gotten gonna continue a little research 

Hi Mason,

I see what you're asking now, and I can answer it for you.  In 1942, Jefferson Nickels were minted in two compositions: the standard Copper-Nickel and the Silver-Copper-Managanese Wartime alloy.  Only Philadelphia minted coins in both alloys.  Denver only minted standard Copper-Nickel coins and San Francisco only minted the wartime alloy.  All 1942-D coins will have the small mint mark by the Monticello because only the wartime silver coins have the large mint mark above the Monticello.  The reason that the wartime silver coins have the huge mint mark above the Monticello was so that they'd be easily recognized so that they could be withdrawn from circulation after the war and melted.  As the 1942-D's are all copper-nickel, there was no need to change the mint mark style on those coins.  Your coin is normal for a 1942-D.

As always, I hope that helps!

~Tom

13 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hi Mason,

I see what you're asking now, and I can answer it for you.  In 1942, Jefferson Nickels were minted in two compositions: the standard Copper-Nickel and the Silver-Copper-Managanese Wartime alloy.  Only Philadelphia minted coins in both alloys.  Denver only minted standard Copper-Nickel coins and San Francisco only minted the wartime alloy.  All 1942-D coins will have the small mint mark by the Monticello because only the wartime silver coins have the large mint mark above the Monticello.  The reason that the wartime silver coins have the huge mint mark above the Monticello was so that they'd be easily recognized so that they could be withdrawn from circulation after the war and melted.  As the 1942-D's are all copper-nickel, there was no need to change the mint mark style on those coins.  Your coin is normal for a 1942-D.

As always, I hope that helps!

~Tom

You learn something knew everyday,  Thanks Tom!!!