• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncertain

4 posts in this topic

How’s it going everyone?I was looking at my pocket change this evening and I came across an interesting looking Lincoln !However I’m unsure the proper terms of identifying it  So anyone whom has knowledge of these type of coins I’d certainly appreciate it! Thanks

219F8C9A-ED7B-400D-B9DD-1DBA29AF3D6A.jpeg

D3368B4D-A610-4D58-9481-B5115361120B.jpeg

Hi Mason,

Well....it looks like you have an actual error coin on your hands!  Congrats!  Now, onto the coin.  I think what you have there is a misaligned die error, since the obverse is off-center but the reverse looks like it's a bit off-centered, but I don't know if it's significant enough to be classified as a full off-centered coin.  It's a pretty cool find.  Though I'm usually not a fan of the other coin boards out there (I used to be a member at a couple of them and I wasn't a fan of either), this post from Coin Talk was written by Physics-Fan 3.14, who is an esteemed, respected member here, so I'm sure this post from 2009 is good stuff.  It explains misaligned die errors excellently:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an-overview-of-misaligned-dies-mad-coins.71781/

Congrats on your find!  And, thanks to Physics-Fan 3.14 of a decade ago for the great information!

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Hi Mason,

Well....it looks like you have an actual error coin on your hands!  Congrats!  Now, onto the coin.  I think what you have there is a misaligned die error, since the obverse is off-center but the reverse looks like it's a bit off-centered, but I don't know if it's significant enough to be classified as a full off-centered coin.  It's a pretty cool find.  Though I'm usually not a fan of the other coin boards out there (I used to be a member at a couple of them and I wasn't a fan of either), this post from Coin Talk was written by Physics-Fan 3.14, who is an esteemed, respected member here, so I'm sure this post from 2009 is good stuff.  It explains misaligned die errors excellently:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an-overview-of-misaligned-dies-mad-coins.71781/

Congrats on your find!  And, thanks to Physics-Fan 3.14 of a decade ago for the great information!

~Tom

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Hi Mason,

~Tom

Thanks Mohawk!