• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pride of Two Nation Set

11 posts in this topic

Why is the Pride of Two Nations set selling between $400 - $500? I bought one set from US Mint for $139. It will cost me $110 to grade both coins (hoping for PF70!). I get them Friday at 1030am. I really want to open the box but you know how that goes. Anyway, any reason other that population of 100k?

Hi again Carl,

Well, the answer here is a two parter: it's the "fad factor" and flippers jacking up the prices because the set is on back order at the US Mint and possibly at the RCM as well. It also has yet another ASE with a funny finish.  So, the flippers are going to jack the prices up in the hopes that people who missed out on ordering this set from one of the mints will worry about missing the next 2011 ASE set, so they'll pay ridiculous amounts of money for a set right now.  It's the whole "hot new thing, don't want to miss out on the next big hit, so we'll charge a massive price because, hey, someone will pay it right now" mentality.  I strongly think that this set is just the latest numismatic fad.....it's going to be hotter than the sun for a short time and then the hype will die down and the prices will come down.  That seems to be the trajectory that almost all US Mint products since 1999 have gone on.  There are some exceptions, but I doubt that this set will be one of them.  It's one of those things to buy if you like it, but not as an investment unless you're planning a fast flip. 

Thanks @Mohawk! I'm not to new to collecting but getting more serious at it. This is the first time I will have ever submitted a coin for grading because it's just a really cool set. I have no plans on selling it. My whole collection will go to my son when I'm gone. I'm only 45 so I have a while!! Thanks again for the information I really appreciate the honesty I have seen in these posts! 

16 minutes ago, Carl's Collection said:

Thanks @Mohawk! I'm not to new to collecting but getting more serious at it. This is the first time I will have ever submitted a coin for grading because it's just a really cool set. I have no plans on selling it. My whole collection will go to my son when I'm gone. I'm only 45 so I have a while!! Thanks again for the information I really appreciate the honesty I have seen in these posts! 

No problem.  Always glad to help and I'm nothing if not honest :).  We're a pretty honest bunch around here, and it's a really good bunch with diverse collecting interests.  It sounds like you bought that set for all of the right reasons and none of the wrong ones.  I like that.  I myself collect Roman coins of Empress Faustina the Younger and her daughter Lucilla and I never plan to sell any of them.  If, when my fiancee and I have a child, we have a daughter, she'll be named after one of those two women in some way.  I'd plan on giving my coins to her one day as it would be cool to give her the coins of her namesake....if she ends up existing ;)

Edited by Mohawk

That's really awesome! 

One more question. is it worth getting it graded if I'm only keeping it to pass along? I feel have it graded will not only preserve it in a case, but when I pass it along its value may be better for him...

Sorry for so many questions Haha. 

1 minute ago, Carl's Collection said:

That's really awesome! 

One more question. is it worth getting it graded if I'm only keeping it to pass along? I feel have it graded will not only preserve it in a case, but when I pass it along its value may be better for him...

Sorry for so many questions Haha. 

No problem.  I think that there isn't a wrong answer.  The NGC slabs are good for presentation, but the capsules the coins come in should protect them also.  If the coins grade out at PF 70, that may create higher value for you and your son in the long run, but I don't think that PF 69's will be worth much more than raw pieces.  If it were mine and I were keeping it for my collection, I'd likely leave it in the original packaging.  Just my thoughts, though :)

Thanks and that makes sense. Who knows if it will be PF70. I ordered it yesterday and will get it tomorrow so I'm hoping that it's a set from the first runs and will have no issues. My concern is if I open box to look at the coins they will not mark slab with pedigree but I really domt think that's a big deal so long as they are 70 right?

13 hours ago, Carl's Collection said:

Thanks and that makes sense. Who knows if it will be PF70. I ordered it yesterday and will get it tomorrow so I'm hoping that it's a set from the first runs and will have no issues. My concern is if I open box to look at the coins they will not mark slab with pedigree but I really domt think that's a big deal so long as they are 70 right?

Hi Carl,

Once again, it depends on what you want out of the coins.  Some people get crazy for that first strike/early releases pedigree, others do not.  I've never gotten hyped up about it myself.  If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it either.  Since you're buying these to keep and not flip, by all means open the box and look at your coins.  You should look at them and enjoy them.  Also, the US Mint has had some quality control issues lately.....I'd rather look at the coin before submitting and find a problem that way than to submit it blind and find out there's a problem from NGC.  I've heard some horror stories regarding the 2019-W cents that are being included with the Mint and Proof Sets this year, to cite an example.  Just my thoughts on the issue, of course :)

Hi @Mohawk. I just ran home at lunch to take a look and let me tell you the ASE is awesome! It def is a PF70.  Unfortunately, the Canadian $5 coin has a little dot on Her Majesties face so i would assume it would be graded as a PF69 - ugh, lol.  Doesn't matter anyway, these coins are beautiful and are going into the safe. I may grade them later but for now i will enjoy them while i can.

Thanks for all your input. 

53 minutes ago, Carl's Collection said:

Hi @Mohawk. I just ran home at lunch to take a look and let me tell you the ASE is awesome! It def is a PF70.  Unfortunately, the Canadian $5 coin has a little dot on Her Majesties face so i would assume it would be graded as a PF69 - ugh, lol.  Doesn't matter anyway, these coins are beautiful and are going into the safe. I may grade them later but for now i will enjoy them while i can.

Thanks for all your input. 

Hey Carl,

I'm glad that your ASE looks good and I'm sorry about the Maple.......those are prone to spotting and dots, but it doesn't sound too major.  I think you'd get a 69 out of it and I'm going to guess that many of the Maples end up as 69's.  I'm glad that you're happy with your purchase.....that's what this hobby is supposed to be all about!

I'm always glad to lend a hand and I'm happy that I was of some help to you!

~Tom