• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2001 Quarter Delamination?

5 posts in this topic

Hi Duke,

Well, based on your photos, I think you have a coin which was simply environmentally damaged.  When you say things about the coin's "lamination", I assume you meant to refer to the outer clad layers as a lamination is a specific type of error.  As far as I know, a coin can be struck missing the outer layer of copper-nickel on one or both sides, but I don't believe that a coin can lose its cladding via wear or that the cladding can fall off.  It's a fairly common occurrence to find US nickels and the clad coins with this kind of dark environmental damage.  It's only worth face value.

Sorry the news wasn't better.  Keep hunting though!

~Tom

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Hi Duke,

Well, based on your photos, I think you have a coin which was simply environmentally damaged.  When you say things about the coin's "lamination", I assume you meant to refer to the outer clad layers as a lamination is a specific type of error.  As far as I know, a coin can be struck missing the outer layer of copper-nickel on one or both sides, but I don't believe that a coin can lose its cladding via wear or that the cladding can fall off.  It's a fairly common occurrence to find US nickels and the clad coins with this kind of dark environmental damage.  It's only worth face value.

Sorry the news wasn't better.  Keep hunting though!

~Tom

Thank you Tom @Mohawk

any news is good news when you are like me and love information with the intention of learning.  I have seen Pennies with this type of environmental damage because of the thin copper plating. This would be the first time I come across a quarter like this.

Most quartes I see with environmental damage are mostly black, and this is the first brown one I come across. 

I really appreciate the feedback. 

Manuel 

7 minutes ago, Dukemnm said:

Thank you Tom @Mohawk

any news is good news when you are like me and love information with the intention of learning.  I have seen Pennies with this type of environmental damage because of the thin copper plating. This would be the first time I come across a quarter like this.

Most quartes I see with environmental damage are mostly black, and this is the first brown one I come across. 

I really appreciate the feedback. 

Manuel 

No problem Manuel.  I'm always glad to help out when I can.