• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Album toning / Album-toned

7 posts in this topic

I have occasionally encountered a vendor who describes an offering as "album toned" or possessing "album toning."  I am well (and painfully) aware of PVC contamination from vintage album slides.  Is "album toning" a euphemism for this or is it something different?  If it is something different: 1) Does it have a negative, positive, or neutral effect on a coin's value; and, 2) If it has a negative effect, is this reversible through coin conservation?  

"Album toning" refers to the reaction of a coin with substances in the cardboard or similar material with which the coin was in contact in the album, producing what can sometimes be very spectacular toning. It often, but not always, appears as concentric bands of color, progressing more toward the center of the coin the longer the coin remains in the album. Wayte Raymond albums are thought to be especially capable of producing this type of toning,as well as Dansco and Whitman (and, probably others.)

Here is one from James Garcia's collection of Franklins, that were stored in a Whitman album.

image.png.a3e0a67ad4b778b3354aab495ea8bd3a.png

On 5/15/2019 at 12:25 AM, WhitmanSampler said:

Cannot thank you enough for your quick response and clarification of the phrase "album toning."  Now I'm wondering whether coinage might react to bank roll paper as well. Thanks again!

Coinage rolls can definitely tone coins if they're left in them for a long period of time in the right conditions.

On 5/15/2019 at 12:15 AM, Just Bob said:

"Album toning" refers to the reaction of a coin with substances in the cardboard or similar material with which the coin was in contact in the album, producing what can sometimes be very spectacular toning. It often, but not always, appears as concentric bands of color, progressing more toward the center of the coin the longer the coin remains in the album. Wayte Raymond albums are thought to be especially capable of producing this type of toning,as well as Dansco and Whitman (and, probably others.)

Here is one from James Garcia's collection of Franklins, that were stored in a Whitman album.

image.png.a3e0a67ad4b778b3354aab495ea8bd3a.png

I still own that coin!

On 6/15/2020 at 2:40 PM, OldTownCoinShop.com said:

I still own that coin!

Hey, James! Is that you? Good to see you back on the boards! :)

Whitman Folder toning can show the concentric stuff above with a more uniform toning on the other side.