• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help please indentifying ancient coins: 7 of 8

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

As a complete newbie, I would really appreciate any help identifying this coin.  There are 8 in total, separate emails.

COIN #7

This one is (in millimeters):

Longest axis:      29.2

90° away:           28.1

Thickness:          1.1

My scales aren’t accurate enough to weigh it with any degree of certainty, but I’d guess ~3-4 grams but this could be way wrong.

The metal appears to be silver.

2019-2-8 14-51-31.jpg

2019-2-8 14-51-7.jpg

After disappearing down the internet rabbit hole most of the day, this one turns out to be a silver shilling. Charles I, 1625-1649, with values ranging from $35 to $1050.  This example would be somewhere around $60, I'd guess.. 

9 hours ago, Jack-the-Lad said:

After disappearing down the internet rabbit hole most of the day, this one turns out to be a silver shilling. Charles I, 1625-1649, with values ranging from $35 to $1050.  This example would be somewhere around $60, I'd guess.. 

A little checking causes me to concur. If you want a positive ID of the Krause number, let me know; I found many Charles I silver shillings.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, JKK said:

A little checking causes me to concur. If you want a positive ID of the Krause number, let me know; I found many Charles I silver shillings.

More digging, and an email from Baldwins in the UK confirms Charles I Shilling with "Mint mark Sun struck by Tower mint under the control of Parliament between 1645-46 in poor to fair condition".

24 minutes ago, Jack-the-Lad said:

More digging, and an email from Baldwins in the UK confirms Charles I Shilling with "Mint mark Sun struck by Tower mint under the control of Parliament between 1645-46 in poor to fair condition".

I confess my ignorance of what or who Baldwins might be, but I laud their helpfulness. So if my memory serves (I only took medieval history as a survey), that means early Civil War, Cavaliers vs. Roundheads and so on, with this being on the anti-Cromwellian side?