• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adjectival Graded Coins

3 posts in this topic

Hello Numismatists,

I had a coin graded recently and it came back with a PF67.  It is my understanding that  the PF denotes the abbreviated meaning for an adjectival grading scale, and that it is an approximation for the striking characteristics of said coin. Can I assume then that there was some uncertainty in the graders opinion? Should there not be some details like GEM BU to accompany the PF?  Or is it up to collectors to already know that it is GEM BU? And lastly does the coins pedigree play any role in determining the grade?  Thank You,

BB20190103_1964-pr-67-jefferson-nickel-NGC-coin.jpg

• Administrator

Hi Brian, 

This is an excellent question. The term proof denotes a strike type, with proof coins typically struck for collectors, as opposed to those produced for circulation. With this in mind, the graders are not uncertain about how the coin was struck. The numerical grade of 67 means that the coin has not been handled in a "circulated" manner (better known as an impaired proof). Thank you for your interest in NGC. 

Hey BB,   I'm not quite sure how NGC treats coins that "fall between the slots", but I believe that PCGS does this by giving them (the coins) some sort of "details" designation, i.e., the coin(s) does not fall within their advertised designation slots but still gives it an 'accolade' for you having given them $$. (And, good luck trying to sell it ...!)   Just my suggestion (for what it's worth) -- It's about "supply-demand" ... heard of that?  Proof sets' supply (supposedly) never change. The 'demand' only increases if a 'mint error' surfaces, or some cameo/deep cameo anomaly occurs without the mint's awareness. Good luck with that gamble. BTW, I have some of '64 sets (mint sets and proofs) that I would like to sell, no hurry.