• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this Standing Liberty Quarter?

20 posts in this topic

Is this one a yay or nay for you? I will tell you the coin is ANACS Certified as cleaned... but what grade would you give it? Like it? or would you pass? This is one of the keys to the series and I think it is ubdervalued... Opinions would be greatly appriecated. Have a look ...

811933-1927d.jpg

811933-1927d.jpg.2b18d5786e3d61bb3c7aa4d058c5c374.jpg

This may seem odd, but I think the coin looks attractive. 893whatthe.gif However, in my opinion, the 1927-D is not really a key coin at all, even with its relatively low mintage. It seems that this coin was saved in large numbers just from its release from the Mint. Therefore, they are rather plentiful, and not priced very aggressively, up to MS64.

I also like it quite a bit, Bruce. A coin I would not hesitate to keep in a collection, especially an album collection.

Hoot

The coins that I have seen of this date are always missing some shield rivets. I had a MS65-'27-D that looked much the same as your coin, except mine was full feathers on the eagle. All the years that I owned the coin, it never increased much in price.

Yours has decent toning. Whoever cleaned it must have let it retone.

The coin is net graded by ANACS... Care to take a guess at what the grade is??... I also like the look of the coin even being a bit lighter than the photo shows... The Back shows some luster... where as the front has the more cleaned looked... I think it was a good chance to get a coin at a nice price due to the net grade....

Is this one a yay or nay for you? I will tell you the coin is ANACS Certified as cleaned... but what grade would you give it? Like it? or would you pass? This is one of the keys to the series and I think it is ubdervalued... Opinions would be greatly appriecated. Have a look ...

811933-1927d.jpg

I'm not very good at estimating grades, and I'm not all that familiar with key points on the SLQ's. All I can say is, "I know what I like, and I like this coin." Cleaned or not, it shows a lot of detail. Besides needing a little makeup on her face, an earring for her navel and some liposuction on her right thigh she looks pretty darned good to me. I wouldn't kick her out of the house. takeit.gif

Chris

Bruce, that's a beautiful coin, particularly for 1927-D, and one I would proudly add to my set. If it's cleaned at all, I would guess net AU-55 at least! Sometimes, coins have a few incidental hairlines, and ANACS immediately jumps to the conclusion that it's been "cleaned". For all we know, the coin slid across the countertop at a malt shop in 1952 and picked up a couple of stray hairlines.

James

I will say the images make the coin look really good... and in hand the front of the coin looks cleaned....not too bad... but has alittle too much shine... I don't see any hairlines.. I was thinking maybe too dipped out and retoned? At any rate the front looks alittle off.... It is AU Details NET EF 40 Go figure..... but a great coin for the grade I think

Besides needing a little makeup on her face, an earring for her navel and some liposuction on her right thigh she looks pretty darned good to me. I wouldn't kick her out of the house.

What a pathetic product of the times you are, Chris. 893whatthe.gif A real bass-turd. Get some help - soon. insane.gif

stooges.gif

It is AU Details NET EF 40

Harsh. With fields affected by cleaning, I could see an EF45 or AU50 net. Oh well, that made it a sweet purchase for you, Bruce.

Hoot

What a pathetic product of the times you are, Chris. 893whatthe.gif A real bass-turd. Get some help - soon. insane.gif

stooges.gifHoot

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifI 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifDON'T 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifLIKE 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifBASS-TURDS 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifI 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifLIKE 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifBASS WEEJUNS 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Thats what I was feeling... AU 55 Details... As far as how they mark the cleaning thats another story... but still shows alot of detail... It will not be going anywhere fast...

EF-40?? That's nuts. I would just love for ANACS to kindly tell me where I can find a 1927-D that nice for the market value fo $125. I'll buy them all!

That's the kind of coin that you just free from the tomb, pop it into your album, and be done with it.

James

Well I will just say I did not even have to pay $125.00 for it as I have had this one for a few years..... It was one of those coins that just kinda set back into my collection... did not take too much notice to it again until recently while looking on ebay I saw how much my coin kicked [#@$%!!!] detail wise as to what was being sold on ebay.... called EF / XF..... just horrible some of the coins...

How was it cleaned? Dipped? Boy, do I have a lot to learn. I thought "cleaned" meant it had been abrasivly cleaned and threre were hairline scratches on the surface. This coin does not look cleaned to me.

I would not hesitate to put it in my collection.

The pics make the coin look good... It looks like it has been lightly cleaned..... if there are any hairlines they are very hard to see... thx for the nice comment about my pictures smile.gif

You can tell the coin was cleaned by the noticeable contrast of color on the devices versus the protected areas on the obverse. Does your coin also look flat re its luster? I would guess so. That's a tip re a cleaned SLQ.

Your coin IMO is AU re details. On the reverse, there is wear on the breast feathers. On the obverse, there appears to be wear on both of Miss Liberty's legs, her rt. breast, and on her face. I really get annoyed when people clean these coins.

Bruce, it depends on what you are looking for and why you want this coin. Problem-free SLQs never are inexpensive. Hopefuly, MFH will chime in, as he knows this series better than I do.

This set of pics makes the coin look dull.... it has been cleaned... not sure how... but the shine on it is a direct tip off... you would know it immediatly if you had the coin in hand... I will try and get some better shots showing what the surfaces more look like as far as luster goes..... The coin was just something I picked up in a trade for a watch that was no longer in use...The coin is not bad overall.... and will not be going anywhere fast