• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Error's... Civil War Tokens

2 posts in this topic

I'm a collector of Civil War Tokens.

I've run into a couple instances where I believe NGC made big time mistakes in the identification of civil war tokens and present the following examples where this happened ~ See Pictures....

First NGC Slab Error:  OH-975-C (C. Brumter) - This is a recent eBay sale on or about 09/31/2018 of a NGC graded Civil War Token.  This token sold on or about 09/31/2018; It was listed by NGC as OH-975-C-5a; C. Brumter, Groceries; Wooster Ohio; NGC MS 63 BN; Cert # 1942626-034 63 - R-10 !!.  It sold on eBay for a whopping $830.00 to a "coin flipper" in New York State.  I believe NGC incorrectly listed as OH-975-C-5a and it's actually OH-975-C-3a - R-5.  Also noticed on NGC label where it says "C. Brumter"...  It's not C. Brumter ...  It's "G" Brumter!!.   G for George, not "C"...  Obvious Error...

So on this Wooster, OH - G. Brumter Civil War Token (Cert # 1942626-034) if you ever come across it...  You'll noticed die "1178" the eagles bottoms feathers point "South" in strait rows of 5....  On die "1179" the eagle bottom feathers are "bushed" feathers slanting from 7 o'clock to the 1 o'clock position.   Die 1179 "the bushed tail fathers" is a R-10, die 1178 (feathers pointing south) is a R-5.  NGC interestingly error'ed by identifying this token as having die 1179 when actually anyone who looks at it can SEE it's die 1178 - R-5..  There are others differences between die 1178, 1179 such as the oliver branch is thick, thin; the arrow's thick, thin; the otter rim pattern different; the date placement different (due to different pattern)..  

Second NGC Slab Error:  1863 New York NY (F-630AI-1A) MS 63 BN (Hussey's Message Post) NGC Cert # 1509713-130.  This is a WHOPPER of an error By NGC.  There are "3" Errors I've seen with this slab:  

Error #1.  The dealer listed the CWT as NY-630-AI-1a (Hussey's Message Post).  The NGC label show's exactly that.  However NY-630-AI-1a belongs to William Hastings (Liquor Dealer)...  That token is a R-9.

Error #2.  The certification on this CWT label comes back as: 1863 NY-630-AJ-1a.  This is impossible as NY-630-AJ Christian F. Hetzel is a roofer!!.  That token is a R-3...

Error #3.  Looking at the civil war token, the token itself is indeed Hussey Special Message Post however I am unsure of what verity.  This civil war token is in the wrong holder, has a wrong certification and houses the wrong token!!.

Could someone have swapped out this civil war token and placed another one back into the NGC slab ~or~ did NGC error and put the wrong token in the wrong slab and printed the wrong certification label ????.  

I hope this goes to show collectors (and maybe dealers) about NGC slab errors that do exist and educate buyers not to simply rely solely on what is printed on NGC labels when they decide to bid / buy Civil War Tokens without first verifying the information...

If these ERRORS can get by NGC and their quality control...  Then please be sure to check your NGC slabs for accuracy.. 

DAC

011.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

11255.jpg

• Administrator

Thank you for your bringing this to our attention. I checked with our token/medal grading team and the coins were graded many years ago but may have been identified incorrectly. We would need to see the coins in hand to make a proper determination. If we deem the coins to be "mechanical errors," which means that they were labeled incorrectly, we would relabel, encapsulate and ship back to you free of charge. If you would like to submit for review please contact me directly for instructions. 

mgens@ngccoin.com