• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Return shipping

3 posts in this topic

Does NGC make an accommodation for cheaper return shipping if I clearly communicate that I accept the risks associated?  I have a single Roosevelt dime that would only be valued highly if it receives the grade I think it will, but this is my first time wanting to submit a coin.  I don't know anyone that does bulk submissions and just think that registered return shipping at $23 doesn't make much sense for me. 

• Administrator

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, per the NGC policy we must ship the items back with USPS Registered Mail which provides insurance and is signature required. I would suggest bringing the coin to a few local NGC authorized dealers for their opinion before submitted. The listing of our authorized dealers can be found at the link below. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/services/dealer-listing.aspx

James, 

I’ve made the mistake of paying way too much for declared values with coins having been graded a tad lower than I contemplated them being graded.  As a result of this, I will use the red book for minimal declared values.  The price guide is inflated based on what certain collectors have paid at certain times.  I simply wish there was more communication before shipping graded coins back that could help reduce customer costs per coin, and per grade.  It makes no sense to pay for an insured value of the best grade if a coin doesn’t receive that grade.  Sadly, there is no communication other than what they read and apply from the invoice (which is the customers declared value which changes drastically based on grade) after the grade is applied.  

I’m currently trying to get opinions so I can make a better decision on the types of coins I can send in when wanting the higher grades.  Here is a link to a post with some photos of 1959 cents I’m considering.