• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Toners on a budget...think Modern Proofs!!!!

3 posts in this topic

I know most Toned coin collectors spend big bucks on beautifully toned Morgans, Trade Dollars, Proof Indian Head Cents etc..........

I also try to do buy like that when ever possible but for the younger collectors and collectors severly limited by budgets restrictions funds aren't always available to go after the choicest coins. So I thought I would post some coins I got today in an original 1961 Proof set.

Now this particular set was already opened which is how I knew that there were some toners in the mint packaging....but I have opened at least 4 other sets in recent months that were purchased by me unopened and was able to find some nicely toned coins....so it can be done on a budget.

On average I am able to pick up 1961-1964 proof sets for under $15 dollars a pop and this includes the unopened stuff as well so these sets should be within the reach of just about anyone.

The coins pictured below cost me $35 for the set, which is a lot more than you would typically have to pay, but again.....with the sneak preview provided on Ebay....I knew there were a few coins worth that price all by themselves.

The pictures, while not perfect are some of the better images I have taken and accurately reflect the deep rich colors on the coins. No photoshopping has been done...this is how they look in hand thumbsup2.gif

1961halfobv.jpg

1961halfrev.jpg

1961quarterobv.jpg

1961quarterrev.jpg

1961lincolnobv.jpg

I was suprised to find the Lincoln Cent with a nice spot of green on the obverrse and most of the periphery on the reverse is nice lime green...that's a bonus as I bought the set for the quarter and half. : yay.gif