• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Picked Up A Nice 1917-D Type I SLQ

32 posts in this topic

The SLQ is far and away one of my favorite coins, however, I hadn't had a nice one for my type set. The one shown here is essentially identical to the image except that in my opinion the intensity of the obverse color is just a little less in-hand. The obverse also has a minor mark on Ms. Liberty's neck that is not visible in the image and that I only saw after I used a loupe, the top of the date is slightly weak and the inside rivets are not completely brought up. The reverse has what appears to be a milling mark on the eagle's right wing, however, examining this with a loupe shows it to be more likely a strike through of a small bit of metal. The reverse color is pretty much exactly as shown. I may have more to say about the coin later, but I've got lots of things to do tonight so likely won't be on the boards much.

Enjoy!

799438-44844602.jpg

799438-44844602.jpg.34f1892f412e2ba8ccd3337f7575121e.jpg

I really like that coin.

The SLQ is a beautiful coin and your 17-D is great.

I love the toning and I bet it is even nicer in hand.

Congratulations on the addition.

-------------

etexmike

Very nice what does it grade my guess MS65?

And I certainly hope that it gains the FN designation. confused-smiley-013.gif

Come on, you know, the full nipple strike... 893censored-thumb.gif

Tom, while the type I SLQs are normally struck nicely, like your coin, you rarely find them with attractive toning. This coin is quite a find (and must have cost you a fortune).

As you point out, it appears that any 'flaws' originated at the mint. I would also like to point out that the surfaces on this coin are choice. You'll often see 5s and 6s in this series with minor contact marks, typically on Miss Liberty's rt. leg or head. The rt. knee seems fully defined, and note that the drapery on Miss Liberty's thigh is complete.

I'll guess that this coin graded MS 65; if a coin's toning in any way impedes its luster, it gets dinged gradewise. A 6 must have outstanding luster.

Thank you all for the kind words about my coin. I hadn't meant to make this a "guess the grade" thread, I simply forgot to list the grade in the original post. blush.gif

A few more notes about the coin so that you all can have a better feel for it. The luster is completely unimpeded on both sides even though there is significant toning for this type. That is quite nice and gives the coin a lot of flash. Elcontador has given an excellent technical analysis of the coin's surfaces as it has immaculate fields that are free of marks. As has been mentioned, the strike is very good and this is a hallmark of the Type I SLQ. However, the strike is not perfect, and most of the minor weakness in the strike is localized on the inner shield and upper digits of the date. Otherwise, the strike is all there with a fully rounded knee and essentially complete gown details. These are areas that can be major problem points for this series. The minor mark on Ms. Liberty's neck, the mark that you cannot see in this image, is quite shallow and required a loupe for me to see the first time. Now that I know it is there I can see it without a loupe if I tilt the coin in the proper angle. The reverse has no marks on it at all except for the strike-through on the eagle's wing. The matte-like fields that this type is fortunate enough to have really accentuate the toning and highlight the lack of marks.

I always try to grade a coin before I look at the holder grade. In this way I believe I have more confidence in what the holder might say since the holder will either agree or disagree with my predetermined opinion. In the case of this coin, in-hand, I think that the obverse grades MS66FH. The reverse would grade MS68 if not for the strike-through and taking that into consideration I came up with an MS66 grade. Overall, my grade of MS66FH matched the TPG grade. Luckily for me, the 1917-D Type I SLQ trades for a relatively small premium in MS66FH vs MS65FH, therefore, it is an attractive grade range. Also, as Elcontador has written, this type doesn't often appear with nice toning, and I was able to buy it with relatively little premium built-in for the eye appeal.

Toyo, I have viewed your NGC US Type Set and you seem to collect the same eye appeal and value that I collect. smile.gif Your set is beautiful. Of course, you and I share a common source for quality coins, and we both know it. wink.gif

By the way, if you want to look at my NGC US Type Set it is several places behind yours. I believe I am currently at number 16 and have the user name Anonymous. Some of my images are terrible, while some are very good. Also, I have to include written descriptions on a few coins and have to update other written descriptions since NGC now allows 5000 characters per description instead of their old limit of 2000 characters. thumbsup2.gif

Tom, a stander with toning like that which does not impede the coin's luster is a VERY rare find. Based on your comments, I can see it in a 6 holder w/o a problem (and nice for the grade, I might add). It's probably among the best Denver mint SLQs I've seen re its strike (it's right up there with MFH's 28 D, also a FH 6).

I can see why EVP wants to see the coin. If I lived in your area, I'd want to see it as well. You're also very fortunate this date doesn't carry a hefty premium between FH 5 & FH 6. Most of the type coins in this series double in price (or more) between these grades.

Tom,

It may be of interest to you that Hermon MacNeal did not design the 1917 type-1 quarter (or the 1916).

RWB

Tom,

It may be of interest to you that Hermon MacNeal did not design the 1917 type-1 quarter (or the 1916).

RWB

Who did then? Are Taxay and Breen wrong? It's clear that Barber meddled with the design, but he did not design it.

Hoot

Tom,

RWB

I just read a book on it. He designed the near identical design except that he had two dolphins on the obverse. The mint asked what the heck dolphins and the USA had in common so they axed it. MacNeal submitted his plaster model to the Mint in Sept of 1916 but no coins were released until Jan 1917.

Well, RWB, please enlighten me on this one. Of course there was tinkering with the design, but the concepts, as well as the patterns, were his from all historical accounts I have ever seen.

The dolphin design that EZ_E wrote about was incorporated in the first plaster model of the coin, one on either side of Ms. Liberty's feet, as well as IGWT being written on a sash across Ms. Liberty's mid-section, a ribbon flowing from much more detailed hair, walls that had no writing on them and sprigs of leaves along the obverse.

However, the dolphin motif was not new or unique to US coinage at this time as the 1915-S Panama-Pacific $50 octagonal coinage has eight dolphins on both obverse and reverse! You will notice that the Panama-Pacific issue and the SLQ were contemporary to one another. The dolphins themselves also look very similar, and this is likely where MacNeil derived the dolphin theme.

Wow! That is one beautiful coin. Toned, original SLQ are great looking coins and that one is one the nicest I have ever seen. I love the rim toning with the center devices and fields just dripping with luster.

Okay -- one more WOW!

Michael