• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you tell a Proof Like from an Actual Proof

11 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

Last Night I won an auction for a 1942P Mercury that was graded MS67 PL (Proof Like). The Picture of the Mercury did look different from the regular MS67 or 66 Mercurys I have bought. Is there any way of telling by examing the coin once I get it to tell if maybe it is a Proof and Not just Proof Like, or should I Crack it out of the slab and send it to NGC as proof or MS? confused-smiley-013.gif I have some experience in more Modern coins but not in this particular variety. Thanks for any help and opinions on this Matter.

Papag

Ken

First off what comapny graded it?Juts asking because some "grading companies" will slab a PO-1 coin PL.

Anyway back to your question by the obvious was there any proof coin struck for that date and mint,ETC.

Also proof coins have tell tell signs.Finally die varietes.With earlt proofs they can tell because they know about the different dies that struck them.

popcorn.gif

Hi Midwestern

I know that it going to sound silly but it is in an NNC slab. I usally buy NGC coins but I am a true beliver in buying the coin and not the slab. I checked on Ecoins for that particular year and they do have coin values for a 1942P Proof so I'm assuming this year and mint made proofs. Thanks again for your help.

papag

Ken

Hi Ken - a PL designated coin is one that has highly reflective fields and sometimes also reflective or cameoed devices, but otherwise has the character of a business strike. Proof coins may be separated from PL coins on the basis of the device characters - devices are full and squarely meet the fields. This includes the lettering and the rims. Also, proof coins typically have unique die characteristics that are well known for series such as Mercs, thus they are readily separated from PL business strikes.

As for the coin in an NNC holder, if you'd rather have it graded by NGC, then it's likely worth cracking and submitting to NGC. It will likely not cross at the current grade level, nor will it likely maintain its PL designation. PL pieces in small coinage, such as dimes, are fairly rare and require more than a little reflectivity.

Hoot

Thanks Hoot

Once I get the coin I will scan it and leave a picture on this thread so that the board can get a better idea of what it looks like. Again I thank you for your help in determining what to look for when it arrives. Thanks

papag

Ken

Hi Hoot

I got the coin in todays mail and I have scanned it and will leave an attachment on two posts one for the obverse and one for the reverse. The coin is very bright but my scanner always shows dark. Don't understand. The obverse does have very nice reflective fields. Again the grade was MS67 PL. Thanks again for helping out.

803117-mercprflika.jpg.0a0b6fef9ce6692afb2abceb903e1e9d.jpg

Hi Everyone

Sorry about being backwards on the attachment descriptions. Old age or something. Sorry foreheadslap.gif

papag

Ken