• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this eBay auction seem a little fishy to you?

10 posts in this topic

A new board member posted this auction over on the marketplace. Link

It looked like a pretty decent coin and the seller has a good reputation so I decided to take a shot at it.However today I got a bid change notice from eBay,and I happened to take a look at the bidding: Link

893whatthe.gif

Entered wrong amount? I don't think so. Then to see that it happened again is what got me.

I looked at this member's page and he just joined eBay on the 24th.

It sure appears to me that this seller has opened another account and is bidding on his own coins in order to raise the prices.The first outrageously high bid was probably quickly retracted when he realized that the bidder had only bid $300.

Then when I made the comment about being happy if I could get the coin for a grand he then proceeded to bid $1,005.But then realizing that my bid was only $995 he logged into his seller account and quickly cancelled his bid.

Doesn't eBay get tough on sellers who do this?

-Hayden

A new board member posted this auction over on the marketplace. Link

It looked like a pretty decent coin and the seller has a good reputation so I decided to take a shot at it.However today I got a bid change notice from eBay,and I happened to take a look at the bidding: Link

893whatthe.gif

Entered wrong amount? I don't think so. Then to see that it happened again is what got me.

I looked at this member's page and he just joined eBay on the 24th.

It sure appears to me that this seller has opened another account and is bidding on his own coins in order to raise the prices.The first outrageously high bid was probably quickly retracted when he realized that the bidder had only bid $300.

Then when I made the comment about being happy if I could get the coin for a grand he then proceeded to bid $1,005.But then realizing that my bid was only $995 he logged into his seller account and quickly cancelled his bid.

Doesn't eBay get tough on sellers who do this?

-Hayden

Hayden, I think it is more than coincidence that his description includes the phrase "Classic Head" and the retracted bids were made by "classicheaddude". I think I'd complain to eBay.

Chris

Hayden,

I would not wish to denigrate a member of the forum, especially a relatively new member. But I wholeheartedly agree that the bidding activity is highly suspicious.

I sincerely hope there's a reasonable explanation for this.

James

Everyone,

I am the person who is listing this so called fishy auction. I do not appreciate all this negative criticism from people who do not know what is going on. Classicheaddude placed a bid and then retracted his bid from my auction a few days ago. When I saw that he had bid again I quickly cancelled his bid because I saw the bid retraction and his 0 feedback status. I have contacted ebay already and have banned classicheaddude from all future listing that I post. I have received over 78 positive feedback from the ebay community with 0 negative responses. I have also been a member of this board for some time, seeing that I won the young numismatist giveaway (by tradedollarnut). IF you have any questions please feel free to contact me personally instead of spreading negative rumors about my legitimacy. Thank you.

Everyone,

I am the person who is listing this so called fishy auction. I do not appreciate all this negative criticism from people who do not know what is going on. Classicheaddude placed a bid and then retracted his bid from my auction a few days ago. When I saw that he had bid again I quickly cancelled his bid because I saw the bid retraction and his 0 feedback status. I have contacted ebay already and have banned classicheaddude from all future listing that I post. I have received over 78 positive feedback from the ebay community with 0 negative responses. I have also been a member of this board for some time, seeing that I won the young numismatist giveaway (by tradedollarnut). IF you have any questions please feel free to contact me personally instead of spreading negative rumors about my legitimacy. Thank you.

Liberty _Coins , it's good that you came forward to set the record straight. However, what you should appreciate is the fact that the members, here, are concerned about protecting the integrity of the hobby. You must admit that there have been more than a few scams committed on eBay and other auction sites, so it would be natural for the apparent chain of events on your auction to raise some red flags.

People who compain about negative criticism and do nothing to correct the problem are deserving of what they get. In your case, you have stepped forward to set the record straight and that is a big plus in your favor. There is nothing wrong with negative criticism. It is not the opposite of positive reinforcement; it is just another approach for attaining improvement. This has always been my philosophy. If you're doing something wrong and nobody tells you, how can you ever improve. In this instance, I have acquired a little more humility and I'm not afraid to admit it.

We should all be thankful that our friends, here, care enough about us and the hobby not to let things go unnoticed.

Chris

I appreciate your response. It just appeared that people were assuming that I would rip them off.

All of the people, here, are really very nice and helpful. Granted, a few of them have some strange quirks.................like me, for example....................I'm just plain crazy! Take it in stride.

Chris