• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do about seller on Ebay

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

I'm here today to get some help from other people here who have bought and sold on ebay. Its been a dilema for me all day and I guess I'm here to vent and get some ideas. I bought on March 14th a 1942 Type 1 jefferson Nickel. I paid quickly by PayPal as the seller said he was going on three week vacation. It never arrived and so after waiting 4 weeks I emailed the seller and he requested I wait another week to see if it arrived as he said he mailed it on March 15th. Of course no Coin. Today I emailed him again and said it still hasn't arrived. I had a gut feeling though to check his auctions on Ebay. Don't ask me why but something told me to do It. Well there was a listing for a 1942 Type 1 Jefferson Nickel listed. I took a look and guess what to me it looks like the same coin but a different picture. The letter placement on the flip is exact. I immediately emailed him to this fact and said that I would be leaving negative feedback if he didn't contact me soon. SO how long do I wait? and should I go to Ebay Conflict resolution? Let me know it anyone else has had this happen to them. I will be honest he did state in his definition that without insurance he is not responsible. Maybe my fault after all. Thanks for any Help

papag

Ken

793606-32_2.jpg.061a6036b1384546069b1eccf5538716.jpg

The first listing was the one I bought I will download the one he has on sale now. See if this appears to everyone to be the same coin. Thanks

papag

Ken

793611-fd_1_b.jpg.c147f98b92383f4ea1f1127eee421a9d.jpg

Ken,

I've not been in the position you are but I do have a few suggestions. The first thing I'd do is get his contact info. This is easy to do. On your eBay home page down the left side is a bunch of clickable links. Under "Related Links" you'll see "Search for Items". Click it. The page it takes you to will have a link to "Find Contact Information". After you click it, you'll have a page where you input the sellers user ID and the auction number for the coin. It won't take long for the system to make sure you're entitled to the info and they'll send you a email with his address and home phone number.

Use the number and call him. Whenever I've had problems with buyers/sellers, this is the best way to find out where the other person stands (assuming they'll talk to you). Be as polite as you can but be sure of you're info. It's very hard to tell from the small pics if it is the same coin but it's definitely the same flip. They may have had two of them and just used the same pic from a different angle for the second one. If he says it got sent and you didn't insure it, then there is no way for you to assume anything negative. With so much time having gone by since they said it got sent, I'd have to consider it got lost or they didn't send it at all. Without the auction page to see, it's hard to suggest more options. How many feedbacks does he have? How many negs? Individual or business? Power seller or...?

As the coin is raw, it would be hard to put a value to it but based solely on the pics, it appears to be MS65/66 but not a full step. Jeffs in these grades with FS sell for over $100 and up. Hopefully, you didn't pay more then $50 tops. If they stand behind having sent it, rather then get involved in a formal complaint (which you would lose because of no insurance), I'd just drop it, hope the coin shows and not leave feedback at all. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sometimes it's best and easiest to just let it go and chalk it up to eBay experience. Just remember this seller and avoid his sales in the future.

Please put a link up from both auctions...may have more to suggest after seeing them.

Thanks spy for your valuable and important opinions. They have given me more to think about and which way to go. I appreciate . Try this for a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3970961519&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 that is his new listing.

this is his old link the one I won.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3963164747&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks again for your help.

papag

Ken

Ken, thanks for the links. I've done business with Randy myself and never a problem. This doesn't mean anything as far as your deal with him, just that I would not expect any underhanded goings-on. Yes, it appears to be the same coin in the same flip for both auctions so can only extrapolate that he has more then one and just used the same coin photographed from a different angle.

Again, I'd try calling him and talking it out.

Ken, I don't think it is the same flip. Take a close look at the first "S" in "4 Steps" on the second flip. The bottom loop shows a vertical mark at the end of it. I can't be sure if this is a smudge or just an added flourish, but it is definitely different from the first flip. Also, the writing on the second flip appears to be slightly bolder (or heavier) than on the first.

Chris

Hi CPM

I did see this also but if you look at everything else it looks as if its still the same flip. As for the Boldness, I believe that it might have been because of the different angle that it was taken. Thanks for looking. Spy I also have bought from Randy before and his coins are great that is why I bought from him the second time. I guess I'm just a little disappointed thats all. Thanks again for helping me out I sure do appreciate it.

papag

Ken

Hi CPM

I did see this also but if you look at everything else it looks as if its still the same flip. As for the Boldness, I believe that it might have been because of the different angle that it was taken. Thanks for looking. Spy I also have bought from Randy before and his coins are great that is why I bought from him the second time. I guess I'm just a little disappointed thats all. Thanks again for helping me out I sure do appreciate it.

papag

Ken

Ken, I still think you might be wrong. I went to the eBay listing. In the "Description", he states that he bought a roll of 42's, and he adds that this one also has 4 full steps. Obviously, he had others that he listed for auction. Even though the lighting is different and the angle is different, the bold vertical strokes (4,t,p,I) should look alike on both flips. Also, note that the background behind the flip is different.

Chris

Hi CPM and Spy

I am happy to report that things have been settled and Spy you are absolutely right about Randy. He is a very honest Seller and I will feedback as to such. CPM you also are right about the flip as this is what Randy pointed out as well was the first S in Steps. Sometimes I think we let our emotions get in the way with our hobby instead of just enjoying it and relaxing. thanks again everyone for listening to my emotions foreheadslap.gif

papag

Ken

Ken, I'm glad everything was okay! You shouldn't be faulted for being cautious. Sometimes you just don't know who you may be dealing with.

Chris