• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint Dies

8 posts in this topic

Us Mint Dies

Wow!When did this happen?Are they going to hold a funeral?

27_laughing.gif

It is entirely up to you if you want to.You're not going to find them any cheaper if you're talking about 2005.You may be able to find an earlier year cheaper on eBay.

As for the "early strike" coin,most "early" business strikes are highly reflective PLs.But I don't know what number of coins that would include.As the first few strikes would be almost Cameo,but the condition would deteriote as the coins were struck.Highly reflective PL coins are worth a large premium but you can find plenty of nice PL coins in mint sets.

Also you have to consider that there is no set amount of "early strike" coins,it could be the last coin minted from those dies and they could still say it was an "early strike"(probably could get it in a "first strike" PCGS holder to!)

I bought my uncle a die set and the certificate that comes with it is very informative. It tells you exactly where the die was used (as in what press and row and position), why it was removed, and approximately how many coins were struck with that die. Some may be in the millions others not very many. The one I received only made about 140,000. It was a cracked die. I think they are a different item for a collector. How many people can say they have the die that made the coin in the slab? I do not think there is that much of a market for them now just intrinsic value. stooges.gifstooges.gifstooges.gifstooges.gif

I've got a NJ state quarter one I use as a paperweight in my office. Makes a nice conversation piece with other lawyers. They always think it has something to do with a lawsuit.

Michael

I have two sets.Both Illinois one P and one D.I like them but it just depends from person to person.Try to find a set in person and see if it appeals to you,.If iy appeals to you then go online and buy one.

As far as the quarter it is ok.It is kind of Prooflike but nothing to write home about.As far as condition.Nothing to even thibk about.Overall it is nice but that is my opinion. thumbsup2.gif

The only dies that interest me are those that have something left on them. A few years ago a dealer I known bought a deal of 1968-S mint dies that still had some detail left on them. I saved an obverse and a reverse of a nickel that still had the date and mint mark on the obverse die. I also bought a collar as well. For $50 a piece I thought that they were worth it, but the dies that are totally blanked out don't do much for me.

The best modern dies were from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Those dies were cross (X) canceled and were pretty neat. The trouble is the last one I saw offered, which was for a $5 gold coin, had a $ 1,500.00 price tag on it. The thing was neat, but NOT THAT NEAT.