• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Clifton, NJ

2 posts in this topic

I went to the monthly 25-30 dealer show in Clifton, NJ today and either there was some other show today or the dealers were playing hookey because the weather was so nice! There were at least five empty tables and several of the other regular dealers were missing even though their tables were occupied. Floor traffic was also lighter than it had been the last couple of months.

Very little tempted me today, although I did take a close look at an 1840 quarter eagle in an NGC AU-55 slab. I thought its surfaces were pretty original, but that the coin was either weakly struck or had more wear than I would expect for the grade. There was also a rim bump and a total lack of luster. I think I would have been happy paying XF-40 money for it, but not AU-55 money!

I ended up spending a fair amount of time looking at checks and bought two rather colorful ones, one from 1869 and the other from 1874.