• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Market downturn and your coins are in a major auction.

8 posts in this topic

Well, after two crappy major regional shows and one crappy national show, I think the coin market is headed in a different direction. For consignors who are planning to sell coins in major upcoming auctions, what should they do? Place strong reserves hoping to sell, place low reserves hoping the market will turn about by the time their coins come up for auction, pull some of the coins out, or let it ride hoping for the best? This scenario has come across my mind on occasion when I was seriously thinking of selling a major portion of my collection. Most scenarios will produce a loss, but not placing a reserve will be riskly. What say you?

TRUTH

TT, you could always do like the Mint.............pull them off the shelf...........place them in the vault for a couple of years..........then put them back on the market for an even higher price.

Chris

well you are SOL

and if you got low reserves you also lose money and if you have high reserves then it will cost you to get your unsold coins back

i think the market for

three dollar gold pieces

ms and proof type coins pre 1915

with the right "look" and surfaces and better uncommon scarce pieces

have yet to see many if any price advances and it a sleeping giant ready to awaken and explode as it teks new collectors time to gravatate into more select specialized areas of numismatics

It is tax time and the stock market is pulling in it's horns! Plus the Bush Administration doesn't have the votes to blow their noses, if it increases the debt. Especially when our debt ratings are in jeopardy with our foreign investors and may cost more to finance.

IMHO, this is a correction. How deep and how long a correction still remains to be seen. It might be prudent to just sit on the side-lines for awhile and see what develops with interest rates and economic growth. I'm not sure that (2) shows is a trend, yet. Good material is still commanding high prices. However, it's your call.

Truth, if I were you, and I really wanted to get a feel for the numismatic market, I'd do the eBay. I seriously think it is the best auction venue to see if your collection would bring the amounts you're looking for.

#1) It probably has just as many buyers as Heritage, Teletrade, B&M, etc.

#2) It would cost you very little in comparison to those mentioned above, whether you put a reserve and/or your cost starting price on them or not.

#3) You control the format, the description, the picture(s) and the timing.

With a collection like yours, a few well-placed "heads up" notices of your intent to sell would bring in many of the big dogs eBay may be lacking. Speaking of which, I'd be very interested to know just how much the aforementioned big dogs actively and regularly peruse eBay for the "special coins" one would ordinarily expect to find in #1's auction houses. Do they do so themselves or thru a third party? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif