• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2001 Sackie

14 posts in this topic

Is the 2001 Sakie so expensive because of the cost of Proof set, or is the Proof set expensive because of the Sackie. Are there other coins in the 2001 Proof set that are more expensive than you might think? Sorry for dumb question

Dont apologize Will. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Just dumb people who ask questions. I AM KIDDING grin.gifwink.gif

Sorry, Will I dont have an answer for you as this is not my area of interest. Be patient and I am sure someone where will have more information.

BTW- Welcome back

Is the 2001 Sakie so expensive because of the cost of Proof set, or is the Proof set expensive because of the Sackie. Are there other coins in the 2001 Proof set that are more expensive than you might think? Sorry for dumb question

TW, , the proof set isn't that high. Clad sets are selling for about $80 and silver sets are about $125. I think part of it may be attributed to the "Westward Journey" fever and Sacagawea's role with Lewis & Clark. Some people, including the shopping networks, are just trying to put together sets of everything related to L&C.

There are some unbelievable numbers for other coins in the silver and clad proofs sets according to CW Coin Values :

> The cent in PF69DC, $60, is higher than any other coin in the set except for the SAC, $125, in that grade.

> The clad dime in PF70DC is $400; the silver dime in PF70DC is $450. WOW!

> The clad half at $35 in PF69DC jumps to $1800 in PF70DC! DOUBLE WOW!

> The silver half is at $40 in PF69DC, but "only" $900 in PF70DC. DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?

As you can see, there is little relation to the price of individual coins and the sets. If I were going to pay $125 just for a proof SAC, I'd go ahead and buy the set. I'd buy lots and lots of sets! Crack 'em all!! thumbsup2.gif

Chris

I like proof SACs! Especially when they're UC and frosty!

I can't answer the question, but I'll guess that the Sacs are in demand because coin dollars are treated as more as a novelty rather than currency. Moreover, since the end of the Peace Dollar in 1935, coin dollar series have had sporadic half-lives and people view the Sac as an endangered series.

JMHO

-mark

SACS are pretty neat looking coins. Like Mark said..the proofs are knockouts. The only problem with Sacs is that nobody can spell it. We're always calling them Sacs and Sackies. I like this one. "The one that looks like it's Gold" Wow! It'd be great to have a special issue Gold Proof SAC. A whole set like the A.G.E.s would be really nice.

Jerry

It'd be great to have a special issue Gold Proof SAC.

Jerry

Cool idea! thumbsup2.gif

OK then, on the fly:

S*A*C*A*G*A*W*E*A?

It'd be great to have a special issue Gold Proof SAC.

Jerry

Cool idea! thumbsup2.gif

OK then, on the fly:

S*A*C*A*G*A*W*E*A?

God, am I glad someone can spell it correctly! I was afraid someone would finally resort to saying................

"Did you see that broad with the kid?"

Chris

Well so far I have decided that I am leaving my Proof Sets alone and buying the six Sackies I need for the Dansco Album. So far I've picked up 2000, 2003, 2004 and 2005 for about $40 all together, so not a real bad start.......Just have to bite the bullet on the 2001........and of course get an 02........I really like the Idea of a Sackie Dansco album....thoughts?

TW, I think the Sac's would look good in either an album or a multi-coin holder. Are you including P & D or just Proofs?

On the down side, it looks like it could be a short set since Congress is considering legislation making a Presidential series for the $ coin.

Chris

God, am I glad someone can spell it correctly!

Chris

I made a little mnemonic to help me remember how to spell it properly. I also remind myself it's typed with just the left hand so that keeps me from putting a "J" in place of the "G".

Surprise! A Coin All Gold, And Without Exciting Attributes.

God, am I glad someone can spell it correctly!

Chris

I made a little mnemonic to help me remember how to spell it properly. I also remind myself it's typed with just the left hand so that keeps me from putting a "J" in place of the "G".

Surprise! A Coin All Gold, And Without Exciting Attributes.

My problem is that I "learned" 27_laughing.gif to type in the Army, and my left hand makes more mistakes than my right. tonofbricks.gif

Chris