• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had a large haul of upgrades and new additions for my type set today!

9 posts in this topic

My focus of today's show was to put some new coins in my type album, and hopefully get some old ones out... I did that well, if I do say so myself smile.gif

Here's what I bought...

1867 2-cent piece... very nice planchet except for a few tiny instances of corrosion--nice chocolate brown color, and nice details. It replaces a scratched VG.

xf_type_obv_sm.jpg

xf_type_rev_sm.jpg

1831 XF/AU Half Dime... oooh! Talk about original! Dark and how I like 'em, with lots of detail, too! Such a tiny coin, but a very neat one! I couldn't say no, and this fills a very lonely hole. Also, there's a very cool die break on the reverse lettering smile.gif

xf_type_obv_sm.jpg

xf_type_rev_sm.jpg

1908-D VF30 Barber Half... I recently got a nice XF quarter to go with my AU dime, so I figured it was time to get the G-4 half outta there. I found this and loved the look--two sides, two types of original color smile.gif The first thing I did when I got home was bust it out of its NGC tomb smile.gif

ngc639973-011_obv_sm-type.jpg

ngc639973-011_rev_sm-type.jpg

I hope you enjoy this haul of mine! It was certainly fun to go on the hunt smile.gif

Jeremy

wow your photos are so clear and focused like having the coin in front of me thumbsup2.gif

the 1867 two center is extremely clean and eye appealling with a crisp strike and none of the usual spotting

same with the 1831 as per the above and also a really cool die break on the reverse

the barber is cool too the 1831 is either LM-1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

can someone else help me out here 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You did make a very nice haul there Jeremy.

Great pics as always. I wish I could take them a fraction as well as you and many others manage to do.

-------------

etexmike

Nice coins. When's the auction going to be online?

I'm listing things slowly but surely... I've been losing a lot of weekends, though frown.gif

Last weekend I was visiting Wash U in St. Louis, and I'll be at MIT from this Wednesday night through Sunday... then I'll be away the weekend after that Friday--Sunday. Don't forget that I work for my mom, who is a CPA, and we're facing the April 15th deadline, and every return means 3+ days' worth of work to catch up on frown.gif

If I'm lucky, I'll have things listed before I leave this weekend, but I'm making no bets... all I can say is everything should be up with a few days of tax season ending (knock on wood).

Sorry about the delay blush.gifsorry.gif

Jeremy

Jeremy, you had a terrific day! thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't worry about the small spots of corrosion on the two center, after all, 130+ year-old copper is very tough to find absent of any corrosion. It appears as though the corrosion was removed from the obverse and some small specks left on the reverse. The reverse even looks as though you can see some of the original grainly planchet pattern. I like it.

The half-dime is very nice and that is nearly a retained cud looking straight at you on the reverse. They are fairly odd looking when the cud is retained, and much more scarce. Yours has great eye appeal.

The Barber half is from one of the few dates/mints that one might call "generic" for this series in problem-free mid-grades. However, that doesn't make it any less desireable as these things are usually beasts.

I wish I could have been there today, perhaps I will be walking again next month. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Glad you like them, Tom... I know you've got a good eye for Babers, so it feels good to know you approve smile.gif For the grade, this was the most appealing one I saw today... and heck, it gave me another reason to use my new snips and send plastic flying across the room smile.gif

The reverse of the two-cent piece does have the grainy effect... I thought it was cool laugh.gif

For my type album, the half dime was the score of the day... I've already turned down one double-my-money offer on it frown.gif Guess that makes me a collector afterall when it comes to type 893whatthe.gif

Jeremy