• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes it doesn't take much color to make a coin extremely appealing...

19 posts in this topic

I've always liked walking liberty halves--I think the design is one of the best in all of US coinage, and they often come with great lustre. I bought a nice MS64 a few years ago (and a 63 that was cracked for my type album), and never thought I'd get a higher grade piece--at least not anytime soon--as all the white ones look the same.

At a show today, I changed my mind. With a small crescent on both sides, and stronger obverse color, as well as immense lustre, I couldn't turn this coin down. It's no monster, but the toning gave it that extra oomph that I needed to buy an MS65. It's in an NGC MS65* holder, and I love it! I liked both obverse pictures, so I used both 893applaud-thumb.gif

ngc1808911-011_obv1_sm.jpg

ngc1808911-011_obv2_sm.jpg

ngc1808911-011_rev_sm.jpg

Jeremy smile.gif

I love those Walker halves also.

Finding a nice one with great color is just an added bonus.

Great addition. I hate to keep bragging on your pics, but another great job.

-------------

etexmike

That's a pretty coin, Jeremy.

Remember, a coin need not have really any color on it to be highly attractive and desireable. A piece with terrific, coruscating luster, white throughout and with thick patina can be a stunner and worthy of a ferocious chase.

Tom,

I agree, but I've seen so many walkers in 65 that have the immense lustre to make them nice, that the "PQ" coins look like nothing special... this had the added touch smile.gif

You are absolutely right, and I should have made more clear that I wasn't really writing about WLHs at all, since that is the case.

Rather, other coins that are tougher to find in that state are what I was thinking of. As an example, I searched for a wonderful CT commem for about three years before I bought a nearly colorless piece that has a near blast white obverse (Charter Oak side) coupled with an antique, vanilla white reverse (modernistic eagle side) that has a very crunchy patina. The coin is drop dead gorgeous, yet nearly colorless.

Beautiful coin, Jeremy! Your pics are always so good. Why don't you start a lengthy thread on the "How to's" for numismatic photography............cameras, lenses, lighting, etc. It would be a great help to me when I start buying equipment and I think others would appreciate it, too.

Chris

Beautiful coin, Jeremy! Your pics are always so good. Why don't you start a lengthy thread on the "How to's" for numismatic photography............cameras, lenses, lighting, etc. It would be a great help to me when I start buying equipment and I think others would appreciate it, too.

Chris

This is old, and most of the setup information (if not all of it) is outdated, but try this. The reason I haven't updated it is simply because of time... I've been in such a crunch right now... I've got lots of photography to do, auctions to list, and more... I've got a few papers to right--all when I get the time.

Jeremy

Chris

This is old, and most of the setup information (if not all of it) is outdated, but try this. The reason I haven't updated it is simply because of time... I've been in such a crunch right now... I've got lots of photography to do, auctions to list, and more... I've got a few papers to right--all when I get the time.

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy!

Chris