• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - White Plains, NY

7 posts in this topic

I just got back from the four-times-a-year, three day, show in White Plains, NY. This is the last show of the "season", as the next one is in October. The show advertises 100 dealers, but usually 30%-40% of the dealers are stamp dealers, so there were about 50 coin dealers.

Today it's raining cats and dogs, but the crowd came out for the show anyway. At times it was actually hard to get down the aisles, which is rather unusual for this show. There were a couple of tables empty, as well as three or four dealers who weren't there, and the book dealer wasn't there, either.

Arnold Saslow (from South Orange) was there for the second time, so I guess he's decided to do this show regularly. He had four or five tables and his usual large inventory. Dart Coins wasn't there - there was some speculation that they were in Santa Clara.

I saw a lot of decent material today, including two High Relief Saints and, much to my surprise, a 1799(?) Eagle in an ANACS F-12 slab (not net graded, either!) I didn't look at it closely, nor did I ask the price, but I bet it's the cheapest early Eagle I'll ever see! I saw several (more than five) Bust dollars, most of them slabbed (PCGS, NGC or ANACS). I've been seeing more and more of these coins as the high prices have brought them out of hiding. I also overheard a conversation between a dealer and a collector in which both of them said that they'd "pulled back" on buying these coins because of the high prices. In fact, the collector was trying to capitalize in the high prices by selling one. (No sale with this dealer, the collector was asking too much.)

For me, the highlight of the show was at Tom Hyland's table - an NGC XF-45 CHAIN CENT! 893whatthe.gif Tom had it priced at $54K+ and said it was being sold by a guy who had bought it at auction in an attempt to upgrade his existing coin, but when he got it home, he decided he preferred his existing coin foreheadslap.gif I'm pretty sure that it was the nicest chain cent I've ever held in my hand - usually the ones I see only have the chain showing on the reverse.

While I didn't buy anything major today, I did sell a Seated Half and bought a raw XF 1934-D Mercury for my Dansco set and an NGC MS-66 1938-D Buffalo. Although I don't collect the series, I bought the Buffalo because it: a) was in a no line "Fat Boy" slab (NGC 5, used 1992-1997); b) the reverse is rotated about 20 degrees; c) the '8' in the date appears to be doubled; and, d) the coin is a light "golden yellow" or champagne in color. All-in-all, it's a neat coin for $55!

Well, it's on to Parsippany tomorrow!

Thanks for the report, Dave, and about this statement-

I'm technologically backward

Well, I have to tell you that you're selling yourself short as you're backward in lots of ways! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Tom,

I may be technologically backward, but:

a) I make technologically backward look good;

b) At least I'm going to coin shows; and,

c) I can still stand, sit and swivel (without the aid of narcotics).

(heh, heh, heh!!)