• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

santa clara show admission is $8.00?

5 posts in this topic

I just pulled up their website and it showed admission for $8.00. Is this wrong? Maybe a typo? Last time I was there it was $4.00 with a discount for ANA members. I got in for $2.00. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

The other day I received a post card from the NY Invitational for $5 off of their $10 admission. 893whatthe.gif

I received the same card a couple of weeks ago. The admission fees for some of these shows amaze me. Don’t the promoters of these shows make enough already through the sale of table space? foreheadslap.gif Look, don’t get me wrong, I certainly can afford the admission fee to attend any show that I know of, but I don’t think that’s the point.

It seems reasonable to think that the lower the admission fee to a show, the higher the attendance will be. The higher the attendance is, the more successful the show will be. The more successful the show is, the larger the number of dealers who will want to attend. The more dealers that want to attend a show, the more the promoter can charge for table space. wink.gif

But I guess some can’t see the forest for the trees. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

"It seems reasonable to think that the lower the admission fee to a show, the higher the attendance will be."

I agree 100%. The coin club shows almost always are free and attract tons of people, sometimes so crowded there is hardly room to walk around. I would like to think the larger coin shows are family events, but if you bring the wife and 2 kids, it cost almost $25 just to get in. The ONLY good aspect of santa clara is that parking is free(unless they are charging now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

TRUTH

John....Truth....

There are two, all-important factors that you may be overlooking.....

Who owns the property? Is the calendar of bookings for the property always full?

More and more, municipal and county-owned properties like convention halls and civic centers are being used to raise revenue to make up for short-comings in the budget. It doesn't matter to the "city fathers" if it is a coin club or merely sheisters hawking name-brand tennis shoes and designer purses at 75% discounts. The rentals of these facilities are "managed" (??!!) by government employees and they are.....just that.....government employees! They don't care if the property is rented, or not. They still get their retirement benefits, paid vacation, sick leave and "colas" even if the property remains vacant 90% of the time.

Privately-owned properties like hotel ballrooms are a little different. There is more of a profit motivation, and if the people overseeing the "rental calendar" fail to do the job properly, they are replaced and/or fired.

All of this doesn't mean there is no room for a little "horse-trading" and "haggling" . But, it is the responsibility of the promoter to be a little creative in negotiating the contract.

What it all "boils down to" is this............

If the promoter is creative and aggressive in the negotiations, it is more likely that the admission charge could be more reasonable.

If the promoter is a "namby-pamby" sort................"That much? Well, okay. I'll take it. Done Deal!........... then you'll be faced with higher admission charges just to break even.

However, if the promoter is greedy...........................

Chris