• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm having more fun now than..............

10 posts in this topic

ever collecting coins. About 6 months ago, I made a decision to stop chasing super high end colored coins, and buy very pretty toned commems, albeit for a premium. In addition, I went back to buying nice, hard to find Mexican coinage. I must say, I enjoy collecting much, much more now, than in years past. There seemed to have been a "gotta have it" syndrome that developed when the market began taking off and when nice material became scarce. It's definitely feels more like a hobby again.

TRUTH

ever collecting coins. About 6 months ago, I made a decision to stop chasing super high end colored coins, and buy very pretty toned commems, albeit for a premium. In addition, I went back to buying nice, hard to find Mexican coinage. I must say, I enjoy collecting much, much more now, than in years past. There seemed to have been a "gotta have it" syndrome that developed when the market began taking off and when nice material became scarce. It's definitely feels more like a hobby again.

TRUTH

Good, when we meet next week at Santa Clara you won't turn up your nose at my little "Needed Coins List." cloud9.gif

The attitude of "always buy the highest grade" is pounded into coin collectors time and time again by dealers who make their best margins on such coins, but I have never gotten more enjoyment from collecting than putting together my Lincoln set in AU/UNC, my Indians in XF/AU, and most gratifying of all, my Buffalo nickels and Mercury dime sets in VF.

Truthteller, it was extremely gratifying to read your post, and I couldn't agree more with the sentiment.

James

In addition, I went back to buying nice, hard to find Mexican coinage.

TT , I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself more, now.

I picked up a few thousand foreign coins at a garage sale recently. I couldn't resist because the price was only $50. Anyway, I don't have any reference books on foreign coins and I've ordered "Krause" but it hasn't come yet.

Some of the Mexican coins are really fascinating! I love some of their designs.

I'm not sure of the denomination of this 1883 coin. It is a white metal and a little smaller than a U.S. dime. All it has for the denomination is a Roman Numeral "I" in the center on one side with what looks to be an oak branch around the perimeter to the left and some other kind of branch with berries around the right perimeter. On the other side of the coin, is a sheath of arrows, an unstrung bow and a battle axe(?) all of which are crossing in the center of the coin. Around the rim at the top is "Republica Mexicana" and at the bottom is the date. The detail on this circulated coin is amazing. Can you tell me its denomination and composition?

Another circulated coin that has amazing detail is a 1907 5 Centavos. It is slightly larger than a U.S. penny and is made of a white metal. Can you tell me its composition?

Finally, there is the 1968 25 Pesos Olympic commem which is the same size as an Ike dollar. One of the inscriptions is "LEY" and immediately below it is "0.720".

From its weight, I assume it is silver. Does this indicate the fineness?

Thanks,

Chris

". Around the rim at the top is "Republica Mexicana" and at the bottom is the date. The detail on this circulated coin is amazing. Can you tell me its denomination and composition?"

You have a copper nickel one centavo, much like the coppernickel indian cent. 1883 is Mexican Republic. Mexico eventually developed into a confederation of States and changed the coinage in 1905 to reflect the United States of Mexico. They changed from the old Real coinage to the Peso coinage in the late 1800's. For a window of about 25 years, both 8R and Peso coinage were minted and used in commerce

"Another circulated coin that has amazing detail is a 1907 5 Centavos. It is slightly larger than a U.S. penny and is made of a white metal. Can you tell me its composition?"

Nickel composition

Finally, there is the 1968 25 Pesos Olympic commem which is the same size as an Ike dollar. One of the inscriptions is "LEY" and immediately below it is "0.720".

From its weight, I assume it is silver. Does this indicate the fineness?

Yes.

TRUTH

I've changed my habits as well. I used to pick up various key date coins in the 1-3 or 400 range. I sold off most of those and kept only my big boys and now try to stick to stuff 500 and up.