• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back from vacation with a goodie?

10 posts in this topic

I went to colorado and got a few coins... nothing really earth shattering.... I got a nice 1885 o Morgan that is DMPL(most likely) or at least Semi... Pics laters.... but then I came across this....

I would think it is a Washington Medal, but I did not find it listred in my Washington Medal book(2nd Edition) It is 75mm

760661-wash.jpg

760664-wash1.jpg

760684-wash2.jpg

Any Ideas?? Thanks in advance

760684-wash2.jpg.1d7392bed28da3e6162d5a4cb7b79e93.jpg

I went to colorado and got a few coins... nothing really earth shattering.... I got a nice 1885 o Morgan that is DMPL(most likely) or at least Semi... Pics laters.... but then I came across this....

I would think it is a Washington Medal, but I did not find it listred in my Washington Medal book(2nd Edition) It is 75mm

760661-wash.jpg

760664-wash1.jpg

760684-wash2.jpg

Any Ideas?? Thanks in advance

You might try concentrating your research on Valley Forge....or Washington's Headquarters at Valley Forge.

Be sure to let us know if you come up with anything.

Chris

I'm betting this is a modern souvenir piece. Might be tough to find a reference for it. Could double as a plate. wink.gif

Hoot

I am going to try and do some more research on it.. I like the piece and I stole it for the price I got it at... If I find anything I will let you know.... As for modern how far would that go back? What sort of medal do you think it is? I want to say it might be hollow inside? A quick light tap on the side makes me think this.... This is one of the bigger coins I have seen .... So we will see how it turns out...., any info will be greatlt appriecated smile.gif

Hi Bruce - I'd look back (at first) as far as the early 1960s. I recall as a kid seeing such medals when we would visit (numerous) historical sites. I have a dissimilar one from Lincoln's birthplace that's made crudely of copper. Anyhow, I would not know where to begin with this one, except that you might call whatever historical organization is in charge of Valley Forge (NPS?). Be sure to talk to their concessions. Good luck with it. Oh, and you may want to write Eric von Klinger of Coin World ("Readers Ask") with your photo and explanation.

BTW, if there is a seam around the edge or rattles (like sand is in the middle), then it likely is hollow. I have some goofy LARGE size play money that I also acquired as a kid that is made with two halves soldered together.

Hoot

Hoot thanks for the information. There is not a seem on it at all and no sand inside of it, but it just from the light tap it still seems like the rims at least would be hollow? I will do some more research on it and see what I can dig up on it. I actually got this in an Antique shop, but when I saw it, it was one of those things that just jump out at you. I ask the lady to see it since it was mixed in with some other pendant type things and was marked 5 to 10 bucks. So I am thinking since it is the biggest thing in the case it will be 10 bucks, but it was only 5 bucks. At that point not even knowing anything more than it had Washington / Valley Forge on it and it was big I took it. I figured it would be in my washington medals book and I would look it up when I got home. It was not in there, so now I am trying to find as much information on this peice as I can. I will let you know what I can come up with. I also like the high relief in the piece. It is just a cool piece overall.

Hey Bruce, I think I found it.

here

The size is throwing me off however. But one of the 2 missing in this series is Valley forge. All of the medals demonstrate similar pictures of other Washington headquarters. Hope this helps.

I think what you found, Melanie, are medals that the reverse was modeled from! It's funny that the reverse of Bruce's souvenir piece would be modeled from such medals, but the obverse is something completely different - perhaps a replica of yet another Washington piece. Good job, Melanie.

Hoot

When I checked in the Washington medals book, I saw the 2 series one of which Melanie has shown, but the picture(on the reserve) is different than the Valley Forge in either of the 2 series. The size of those were 28mm or 32mm if I remember correctly, I will look again later. There was also a few other medals of sorts with Valley Forge on it or mentioned, all with a bit of a different portrait, but none even close to being this large. This piece still remains a mystery, but it will be solved.