• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conservation of Boxed Proof Sets

4 posts in this topic

Several years ago I inquired of the ANA as to whther or not I should remove coins from early boxed proof sets from their cellophane holders. I was told it would be best to remove them and place them in holders, such as Capital, before they began spotting or tarnishing from interaction between the air and the chemicals in the cellophane. I did not remove them. I am loathe to do so. They have not yet begun to spot but I worry that one day they may begin to spot. What is your opinion?

Remove from the packaging.Many nice proof sets have gone bad because people didn't remove them.You might even want to send them in for grading if they are nice enough.

Original mint packaging is not the best for long-term storage. The celephane is permeable to air and residues and the boxes they are housed in are full of chemicals detrimental to the surfaces of coins including acids and sulphur. Removing the coins from the original packaging and placing them in inert airtight holders is a good idea. Certified slabs such as those used by NGC and NCS are the best holders in the marketplace for long-term storage. It would also a good idea to have your coins professionally conserved to remove any residues that have been deposited on the surfaces of your coins before encapsulation to be sure these will not continue to eat into the original surfaces.

Chris, NCS

Thank you, I will take your advise. I should have done so during the years as I set aside the sets I decided I would keep. I have five coins, a 1940 set, at NGC right now in the grading phase. Four of them, especially the Lincoln, are beautifully toned and I'm not sure I would want anything done by NCS to toned coins. It's going to cost me a pretty penny (horrible pun intended) because I have all of the sets from 39 to 55 in this packaging. I'll have to call to get advise on levels, how to separate, toned coins, etc. At any rate, I will begin moving them tonight to holders.

Thanks again for the advise.