• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Liberty Appreciation Thread

36 posts in this topic

I only have two to appreciate but I'm sure you all have some great ones...

1857OBV.jpg

1857REV.jpg

1887obv.jpg

1887rev.jpg

Neil, there appears to be faint striations (for lack of a better word) on the reverse of the '57 from the top of the righthand wreath SSE through the "LF". My eyes aren't good enough to tell what it might be.

Nice coins!

Chris

Neil, there appears to be faint striations (for lack of a better word) on the reverse of the '57 from the top of the righthand wreath SSE through the "LF". My eyes aren't good enough to tell what it might be.

hi there chris you got an excellent eye thumbsup2.gif

i missed that and just saw it when you mentoined it

and this is what i believe to be a clashed die as this is when (especially so with smaller coins) where because of the mints desire to make the dies last longer at the mint for small struck coins they would space the dies more closely together and especially so with smaller coin types like three cent silvers and half dimes the dies would sometimes come together without a planchet between the dies causing the dies to "clash" come together and make an impression on one side of the die from the other die as in this case where the obverse die hit the reverse and made an impression into the reverse die of part of the obverse shield and so when more coins are struckyou get this impression on the coins

now this spacing thing added to and contributed to this clashing

there are other coins that are even larger that have evidence of clashing too in fact many 19th century coins have this

Cannot tell from the picture but those parallel lines are not from die clashing. They could be die polish lines but from your picture they look to be covering too much of the coin, but still the most likely cause. I am assuming the parallel lines are raised.

Well, Lathmach across the street told me that this is a Valentine 1 variety, the scarcest of the date. I believe it is the unreworked die.

I agree that the diagonal lines on the reverse of the 1857 do not appear to be from a clashed die unless there were a previous die rotation of approximately 90 degrees. Also, the lines go all the way to the denticles, and we wouldn't see any clash marks to the edge.

However, there does appear to be evidence of clashing directly above the central portion of the wreath as one can see the base of the rock outlined at this point.

In my opinion, the lines look more like they are from an improperly annealed planchet or from streaky toning that might have occurred from residual grease or oil being on the coin.

Michael has some killer Seated material and he should do us a favor and post his online museum. hail.gif

Here's my contribution, and I'll stick with one of the denominations that you have already listed.

760294-F1859N65.jpg

760294-F1859N65.jpg.b773fb29d080bf7f3aca8bc071073621.jpg

I agree that the diagonal lines on the reverse of the 1857 do not appear to be from a clashed die unless there were a previous die rotation of approximately 90 degrees. Also, the lines go all the way to the denticles, and we wouldn't see any clash marks to the edge.

However, there does appear to be evidence of clashing directly above the central portion of the wreath as one can see the base of the rock outlined at this point.

In my opinion, the lines look more like they are from an improperly annealed planchet or from streaky toning that might have occurred from residual grease or oil being on the coin.

Michael has some killer Seated material and he should do us a favor and post his online museum. hail.gif

Here's my contribution, and I'll stick with one of the denominations that you have already listed.

760294-F1859N65.jpg

That is why I asked in my previous comment if the parallel lines were raised as I assumed they were. It could simply be toning.

Talking about parallel lines, take a look at the reverse of this one.

760461-1854rev.jpg

The lines were clearly on the planchet prior to striking. At 6:00 it looks more like someone took a file to the planchet. This is the 1854 in my registry set (check the link in my sig if you want).

760461-1854rev.jpg.d65029fcbc8a23a047d3ed9e626c3dc7.jpg

wow is this a great thread!!!!

tomb your 1859 is superb flowerred.gif well really amazing and an uncommon gem coin even if it was blast white really unique with the monster toning 893applaud-thumb.gif

and you always got something good to say thumbsup2.gif

Michael, sorry about posting your images for you but I just gotta see them and make sure everyone else does, too!

760593-1860halfdime.jpg

760598-1874trade.jpg

760601-1878cc25cent.jpg

760602-62dimePF.jpg

nwcs i want to thank you for doing this

this is great

i am really foolish maybe you might pm me and walk me through insufficiently_thoughtful_person proof step by step how i do thing thing so the photo appears like you did

thanks thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Michael always has the best Seated material. In fact, I think Michael always has the best any material! 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhail.gif

It's odd, I never really thought of Trade dollars as being Seated coins. 893whatthe.gif

Here are two more of mine, the rest I simply do not have quality images of. You will note that the half dime has strong clashing on the reverse.

760653-E1858N66.jpg

760660-J1878SN64.jpg

760653-E1858N66.jpg.793ba84e4fb62cce61e747f7cde46f2f.jpg

How about a Barber dollar? smile.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

that coin is amazing boiler thumbsup2.gif

great toning to boot hail.gif

and i take it it is cameoed 893applaud-thumb.gif and also it is like a rarity 7+

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hoot

I am a bit late getting here but I will reveal my seated half. shy.gif

762221-1847obv4.JPG

It was difficult to show the colors. At one angle, it has the deep toning of old silver. Under the light, Miss Liberty takes on a golden hue while there is some violet in the fields around her.

762221-1847obv4.JPG.4f495f6c7c5814c96112c0f84581148c.JPG