• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Highlight Purchase From Baltimore--1866 3 Cent Nickel with Incredible Clashes

10 posts in this topic

I made it my goal to find a clashed 3CN at Baltimore. On Saturday, this is the very first coin I looked at... I said I'd think about it because the price was high (doubles from 64 to 65), but man, it was exactly what I wanted! Over the course of the day, I looked at every 65 and below, and nothing came close to this one. In addition, I talked to Julian Liedman, and expressed my concerns over pricing... his advice was invaluable. He reminded me that it really was the clash I was looking for, and since I'll enjoy the coin, go for it. Near the end of the show, I went back to the table, and I purchased the coin, which cost more than double my next most expensive piece.

That said, I LOVE this piece. On the obverse, I count four unique impressions of the wreath, and five impressions of Liberty on the reverse. This is the first small coin I've shot on my new setup, so bear with with (the reverse, especially, is stronger than the picture shows)--when I can get the lighting better, I'll have more closeups (the macro lens is so close to the coin, it lets very little light in (around 1/3"). I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do. The large images are provided for each shot--they're just cropped, not rescaled.

NGC MS65

ngc_1841057-003_obv_sm.jpg

Large Image

ngc_1841057-003_rev_sm.jpg

Large Image

Closeups!

From the III, as seen in the neck of Liberty

ngc_1841057-003_obv-close1_sm.jpg

Large Image

The wreath in front of Liberty... well, four wreaths

ngc_1841057-003_obv-close2_sm.jpg

Large Image

The many profiles of Liberty on the reverse--as I said, the lighting really didn't work for this shot because of how close the camera was to the coin, but it's a nice first attempt, and you can see it...

ngc_1841057-003_rev-close1_sm.jpg

Large Image

Jeremy smile.gif

That's superb! Great advice from Julian, as long as it didn't break the bank!

Congrats, Jeremy. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

That's an exceptionally cool piece, Jeremy, and it has a terrific look, too. thumbsup2.gif Your images are outstanding and really give one a good idea as to how dramatic the clashing is on the coin.

I fell in love with heavily clashed IIIcn's for a while a few years ago, but ended up having to sell almost all of them to finance my coin company frown.gif.

I still have an 1865 with four distinct impressions, very similar to yours!

James

Bob and I may end up sharing a table for the GSNA, just like we do every year. However, with the lack of shows that I have done in the past year I have almost nothing to sell. frustrated.gif

Bob and I may end up sharing a table for the GSNA, just like we do every year. However, with the lack of shows that I have done in the past year I have almost nothing to sell. frustrated.gif
So you'll be... buying 893applaud-thumb.gif