• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's an interesting Lincoln variety I found in my change!

8 posts in this topic

With all this talk of varieties I couldn't resist:

Pic-link 1

I always scan through my change,and this one really jumped out at me.As some of you know up until recent years the mintmark was punched into each individiual working die by hand(could someone tell me what year the mintmark became part of the master die?1992?).And of course humans aren't perfect so occasionaly a mint worker punched it off center,lightly rotated, upside down,etc.Then they would have to go back and re-punch it the correct way,which is how we end up with the countless RPMs.This coin struck me as odd due to the fact that it was rotated so much that it is very noticable.You would think that there would have been an attempt to correct it!

However when I got home I looked at it with my loupe and it was repunched:

Pic-link 2

Not the best pics but you can see that it was first punched to the SE and was

even more rotated before!Judgeing by the rather weak attempt to correct it,someone was not having a very good day!

-Hayden shy.gif

Interesting mintmark placement. I'm not seeing the secondary in the picture, though, and it doesn't match any of the 11 in the RPM book or coppercoins website. Can you get a picture with more magnification?

Interesting mintmark placement. I'm not seeing the secondary in the picture, though, and it doesn't match any of the 11 in the RPM book or coppercoins website. Can you get a picture with more magnification?

How's this: Big pic!

-Hayden

I think that'll do. If you're talking about the area I marked, then that is just a split in the plating. Not a RPM. It's very common on the zincolns and usually on the mintmark. It's easily distinguished by silvery-blue-green color to it.

758458-1987dmm.jpg

758458-1987dmm.jpg.baffd090d6ac5285812d625b9c5b4c2d.jpg

I think that'll do. If you're talking about the area I marked, then that is just a split in the plating. Not a RPM. It's very common on the zincolns and usually on the mintmark. It's easily distinguished by silvery-blue-green color to it.

758458-1987dmm.jpg

Spiny , doesn't the "D" appear to be listing about 5 degrees to starboard?

Chris

Oh yeah. It definitely stands out for mintmark placement. If it was on a Morgan, it would probably get it's own VAM for that.

Oh yeah. It definitely stands out for mintmark placement. If it was on a Morgan, it would probably get it's own VAM for that.

Nah, it should be a HUBBS #!

Chris

Heh. The field is wide open for anyone willing to take on that daunting task! (identifying lincoln cent die marriages by mintmark placement) smile.gif