• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Messing about editing images.

14 posts in this topic

Roger all of those are accurate and depend on the angle between the light, coin and lens. These are the factors that interplay to having toning in one image and have it subdued in another. This is all laid out nicely in Goodman's book with techniques provided to bring out the colors in an image that a coin exhibits.

I personally think that the toning on this Franklin is stunning and very eye appealing.

Best, HT

As a composite image it is interesting, but I don't find the image particularly attractive. Too much in the way of color/toning differences between the individual coins.

Carl

As a composite image it is interesting, but I don't find the image particularly attractive. Too much in the way of color/toning differences between the individual coins.

Carl

lol at myself. I didn't even notice the OP's picture is a composite. Still laughing at myself for failing to notice. I must have needed more coffee!

Roger all of those are accurate and depend on the angle between the light, coin and lens. These are the factors that interplay to having toning in one image and have it subdued in another. This is all laid out nicely in Goodman's book with techniques provided to bring out the colors in an image that a coin exhibits.

I personally think that the toning on this Franklin is stunning and very eye appealing.

Best, HT

Yep. There are many variables. Ultimately, the coin photographer has to decide which image best depicts the coin - accurately and fairly. That is difficult to do and a different photographer would probably make different decisions.

I say, like it or not the composite is a great example of how lighting and photography can make the same coin look different. It should be in the "what u need to know" section. Perhaps create a category under "fear buying what you can't see in person"

I say, like it or not the composite is a great example of how lighting and photography can make the same coin look different...

Except for the fact that it's three different coins. Look at the OP's sig image.

Something like this might do OK on a business card of someone who deals with toned Franklins.