• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submissions for grading

2 posts in this topic

I just received my Mark Twain ommems (4 days after ordering). I was going to have them graded, however, I ran into an issue with the submission.

I created an invoice asking for "Early Release" designation and when I tried to continue, the form came back and said I needed a minimum of 5 items (I only had 4).

Since I didn't have another coin that qualified as a "First Release" and that designation applied to the invoice and not a line item, I thought that I would just create another invoice and send them both in together (this invoice would have 3 coins, not ER).

Again when I attempted to continue, I was told that there must be 5 items on each invoice.

So, I removed invoice #2 and added three coins to the first so I would exceed the 5 coin minimum.; the problem with this was that I was charged $15 per coin for the ER designation, even though only 4 would qualify.

I then removed the invoice and placed the coins in the safe. I will see about buying certified coins online.

I know its only $100 +/- to NGC but there should be a way for small collectors to get coins certified.

Sorry for the length but I had to get this off my chest.

According the people ATS (on the PCGS forum "Across The Street") you are not not missing out on anything. The Mark Twain $5 gold does not seem to be very popular. In contrast it seems that the silver dollar might be a hit, at least according the current "Coin World" on-line article. The sales were very strong the first day.

Asside from the market value I don't understand the interest in "Early Release" concept. The mint makes up a bunch of coins and sells them. The dies are all pretty much the same. It's not like the old days when you had early and late die states or Cameo or non Cameo coins. Nowadays they are all Cameo coins.

I would not pay a premium for an Early Release holder, but that's me. Other collectors are different.