• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

S. S. Republic: Civil War Gold

32 posts in this topic

chris what a great story and also ND has a huge rabid following as you already know it is like the number one thing at the school

and it is like a religion there

and of course they nd have sometihng like a 5 billion dollar endowment fund it has to be close to 9 billion by now and only i think havvard and/or princeton tops them 893whatthe.gif

Michael, did part of your research involve Military History ? Did the era include the Plains Indian Wars of the 1870's ?

The reason I ask is because we have an officer's cavalry sabre of one, F. Horster, Jr. (inscribed below the hilt). It was given to my father in the 1950's by Horster's son who was in his 80's and had no other family. The son told my Dad that his father was a Second Lieutenant in Custer's 7th Cavalry. My great-grandfather, Isaiah Hickman Lame, was a First Lieutenant in the 7th Cavalry. Neither of them were at "Little Big Horn". I've tried to research this without success. I've come to the conclusion that military record-keeping wasn't all that accurate in those days.

Do you have any suggestions that may help me?

Thanks,

Chris

CHRIS I WILL RESEARCH THIS AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU AND SEE WAHT I CAN COME UP WITH

TIME WILL TELL GIVE ME A WEEK OR SO

AND I WILL BE IN TOUCH WITH YOU

best

michael