• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I blame TomB and Michael

17 posts in this topic

No question about the influence that others from these boards have had on me. Greg Margulies has caused me to stray heavily into darkside copper, John Wihlborg and jom have changed my opinions about quality buffs, John has furthered my interests in SC dollars, and even Leo has caused me to consider some of the finer points of strike (not just with Jeff nicks). (And GDJMSP has made me like what I cannot afford - old foreign gold. sumo.gif)

Of recent, I have been writing about Barber coinage. I've written three articles - one on proof Lib nicks, one on Racketeer nickels, and one on proof Barber quarters (yet to appear in print). Now I am writing about collecting circulated Barber half dollars.

Who may have turned my attention in these directions? Michael and TomB!!! smile.gifmad.gifsmile.gifmad.gifcool.gifgrin.gif

These guys know so much about this realm of numismatics, it's astounding, and the more I studied, the more I liked. The more I looked, the more I liked! Nothing like studying, reading, and diversifying one's knowledge to get out of one's own central dogma and learn to diversify one's interests.

Truly, I hated Barber coinage before I began studying it. Stupid, eh? I think so. This was a prejudice born in ignorance (aren't they all?) about Barber himself. Now, Barber was a guy that's easy to dislike, but he conducted some seminal acts in the four walls of the Mint, and he is responsible for a great deal of coinage from the 1870s through the 1930s (yes, after his tenure). Indeed, one can say that his antagonism caused the Renaissance of Americn coinage in the early 20th Century. Fascinating, and well worth the study. I have much yet to learn, and am in the process of study. 893blahblah.gif

Anyhow, on that note, I have decided to begin collecting coins that are recognized as "Barber pieces." And I truly blame TomB and Michael for this wink.gif, and look forward to the journey. This is a diversion from my usual course in that I intend on collecting circulated coinage instead of unc. (Except for nickels!)

Below, you'll find my first two Barber halves. I'm quite pleased with these. They are both quite original and have never been harshly cleaned. I had to remove some crud from the surface of the 1914, thus it's a bit lighter in color compared to the 1899. There are also a few minor rim dings on the 1914, but it's still an attractive coin and will do well residing in my Dansco until which time I might find another. I look forward to the journey. Enjoy, Hoot

754519-1914Barber50cF12.JPG

754520-1899Barber50cVF30.JPG

754519-1914Barber50cF12.JPG.c09aacbf670352832400c713f3a49062.JPG

You know, I don't think those grundgy, dirty hags would do well in your collection. Besides, they are prohibitively difficult to obtain. Might I suggest that you turn them over and use the cash for foreign gold? Since bullion prices are so low, you should be able to pick up many pieces! devil.gif

You know, I don't think those grundgy, dirty hags would do well in your collection. Besides, they are prohibitively difficult to obtain. Might I suggest that you turn them over and use the cash for foreign gold? Since bullion prices are so low, you should be able to pick up many pieces! devil.gif

Great idea! mad.gif

You can't have my Barbers. Haven't you caused enough harm? May you suffer the curse of a thousand nipple pinches. flamed.gif

Hoot

Great idea! mad.gif

You can't have my Barbers. Haven't you caused enough harm? May you suffer the curse of a thousand nipple pinches. flamed.gif

Hoot

Would that be the Barber of Civility spouting these words?

NP's? Wow, aren't we getting risque!

Chris

Would that be the Barber of Civility spouting these words?

27_laughing.gif

Nay. Civility disobedience. wink.gif

Hoot

(And GDJMSP has made me like what I cannot afford - old foreign gold. sumo.gif)

Hoot

Now hold that thought Hoot - and I'll post some more pics for ya poke2.gif

Of course if ya like - I'll just send ya a link to the whole sheebang devil.gif

And you should really thank TomB for making such an excellent suggestion about the foriegn gold 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot, here's a (bad) picture of my 1899 (S) Barber. I dug it up in that same park a couple years back. tongue.gif

fdedf972.jpgfdedf95b.jpg

Hoot,

I thought you were pondering the earlier stuff?

EVP

Absolutely! laugh.gif Never stopped pondering! wink.gif

(But the price differential has me on a slow path to my ED type. blush.gif)

Hoot

Now hold that thought Hoot - and I'll post some more pics for ya poke2.gif

Excellent! cloud9.gif

Of course if ya like - I'll just send ya a link to the whole sheebang devil.gif

Please? shy.gif

Hoot

Hoot, here's a (bad) picture of my 1899 (S) Barber. I dug it up in that same park a couple years back. tongue.gif

That's GREAT! What an incredible thrill that must have been! Losing that coin must have been a bit of a hit for someone in those days or even in the subsequent years that the Barbers circulated.

thumbsup2.gif Hoot

I've been gaining some respect as of recent for the Barber series myself. I don't intend to collect them, but as a new dealer, I absolutely love to stock up on nice, original coins in all 3 series. I think more collectors are starting to take a serious look at picking up one or two or a series of these coins. I think they're becoming more attractive for everyone!

Bruce

Indeed, one can say that his antagonism caused the Renaissance of Americn coinage in the early 20th Century.

Yeah, but he was still a dickweed. 27_laughing.gif

jom