• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some notes on proof buffalo nickels...

43 posts in this topic

That's a nice freakin' coin, Hoot! I have also been looking for a superb satin Buffalo, but as you mentioned, they are typically nasty beasts. I realize you haven't been around these boards long enough to know how to embed an image, so I will do it for you. wink.gif Here is Hoot's coin-

1301340-1936satinBuff5cPF66PCGS06-108.JPG

By the way, there is a single proof SLQ known, it is dated 1916, is a matte proof and was sold as lot #48 in the Stack's Fiftieth Anniversary Sale in 1985 for just under $21k. Of note, the coin was intentionally damaged by the then-US Mint Director, who scratched out two leaves that obscured the L in LIBERTY as he thought the coin looked better without them. 893whatthe.gif

That is utterly fascinating! What a nut-job the Director must have been! Now, there were two directors in 1916, so was it Woolley (through July 1916) or von Engelken (from September 1916)?

I'd love to see that piece!

Hoot

TomB:

The 1916 SL quarter you mention is one of the many patterns made that year. It also is not a proof coin. Mint documents specifically mention the coin and Dir. von Engleken scratching off the leaves with his pen knife. Philadelphia Mint Superintendent Adam Joyce states that the coin was struck on a normal press just like any other circulation issue might have been. This is one of the few instances where a particular coin can be identified in contemporary documents. The coin was owned by Jay Cline for many years, then sold by Heritage a couple of years ago. They did not have access to complete documentation when the coin was auctioned.

You can find the whole story and documents in "Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921."

Anyone have a pic of a 1936 satin proof?

Prettiest one I've ever seen:

I don't think he sold it in his recent auction but I saw Bruce Scher's 36 Satin and it beats the hell out of that one on Teletrade. And NOT because it was graded 68...but because of the color. An incredible piece... 893whatthe.gif

jom

Here's another one (1936 Satin NGC PF 67):

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

He does have a few carbon flecks, but the color and luster are simply amazing and impossible (for me) to photograph well.

Have fun...Mike

p.s. great post Hoot!

That's one pretty satin proof you have there Mike! thumbsup2.gif Another rare bear.

Hoot

Mark,

That is an amazing coin you finally found! It’s a truly wonderful piece. I’m happy you have been able to add it to your collection.

Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

John

Re: Copper Buffalo

The Buffalo struck in copper and included with the 5 1913 Liberty nickels was kept by Eric Newman when he sold the Liberty pieces. The coin remains in Eric's possession.

MikeinFl........Having seen you Buffalo in hand, I think you did quite a good job on that photo.

And seeing all these proof Buffalos makes me want to pick up one or two. I must resist.....nust resist.....must resist..... insane.gif

Mark,

That is an amazing coin you finally found! It’s a truly wonderful piece. I’m happy you have been able to add it to your collection.

Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

John

Thanks John! I know you aare aware of how tough these pieces are.

Hey, you should hang around here more often. wink.gif

~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Mike King!

~~~~~~~~~~

And seeing all these proof Buffalos makes me want to pick up one or two. I must resist.....nust resist.....must resist.....

Just back off!!! sumo.gif

hi.gif

Hoot

Anyone have a pic of a 1936 satin proof?

Prettiest one I've ever seen:

I don't think he sold it in his recent auction but I saw Bruce Scher's 36 Satin and it beats the hell out of that one on Teletrade. And NOT because it was graded 68...but because of the color. An incredible piece... 893whatthe.gif

jom

Here's another one (1936 Satin NGC PF 67):

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

He does have a few carbon flecks, but the color and luster are simply amazing and impossible (for me) to photograph well.

Simply amazing buffs, wow foreheadslap.gif Enjoyed reading also Mark. Thanks for this 1 Mike 893applaud-thumb.gif

1719132-nickel.jpg.7a1b8c289460f0f38dfac0947189c1be.jpg