• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A cleaning solution for getting sticker glue off slabs

11 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

Just a quick question if you don't mind. I'm looking for a cleaning solution that will remove the sticker glue you get sometimes on Graded Slabs. I used alcohol and just plain soap and water but it still leaves an unattractive residue. Would like to know if anybody has any ideas or where I can find a product to relieve this problem. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Papag

Ken Garippa

Goo Gone does the trick lickety-split. Available just about everywhere!

If you're in a real pinch, peanut butter will also remove stickers, but you'll have to follow that up with a mild soap wipe.

James

Thanks James I appreciate the info and will send the wife out after snow storm to get some at Wal Mart as she said they have it. Thanks again.

papaG

Ken Garippa

I hate to buy a coin and it arrive with sticker goo all over it! Goo Gone is great.

I found out one thing! Don't ever put acetone on a plastic coin holder!!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

The Goldbergs in particular are famous for the industrial strength sticky junk they use to deface slabs. Goo gone works even for that problem.

Hmmph, I can tell you stories! (not Goldberg, but "other" sellers).

I bought a slab from a printed ad one time, and it arrived in a carton that reeked of cigarette smoke. When I got the slab out of there (and fumigated the garage), I realized that the slab had cigarette burns. This nut had basically been using slabs as ashtrays, I guess! Fortunately, I was cracking that coin out anyway.

Then there's the time at a show that I bought a few coins from a walkup seller. A couple of the slabs had greasy Big Mac sauce and lettuce glopped onto them. YUCK!

James

I use something called hexane aka petroleum ether or ligroine. Works super. If you are a chemist or know someone who is that might be the best way to get it. Very FLAMMABLE. Rubbing alcohol often works too!!

I just use a tiny drop of lighter fluid which is probably essentially the same thing as Goo Gone.