• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else recently chosen to do a survery (in-person) for the USmint?

5 posts in this topic

Couple of weeks ago, I got an email questionnaire that was through a 3rd party, from the USMint, asking if I wanted an opportunity to be part of an in-person focus group/survey.

I filled it out, and, a couple weeks later (last Friday), got a call saying I was chosen. 2 hours. $100. Downtown.

I just did it last night and the moderator mentioned he was traveling to multiple cities for this. There were 10 of us selected from this area.

None that seemed like the people I have met locally or at the coin shows I have attended (local/national). Most seemed to only buy from the USMint for the majority of what they collect.

The USMint also has some very disconnected people making decisions, imho, as they are contemplating doing a 2016 MT Rushmore set with no new coins/medals, but just new packaging and then placing in already minted presidential dollars (and potentially medals).

The mint also seems to want to more medals.

They are thinking about doing an additional proof set SKU where the ONLY change would be adding a medal. No different packaging, no different coins of any type. Just toss in the medal and up the price.

They want to possibly scrap the different packaging around the American Eagle series and just do one packaging for all (Silver/Gold/Platinum).

They want to celebrate the 225th annv of the USMint (Philadelphia obviously ;) ), in either 2017, 2018, and/or 2019 (yes, I did say "and/or" as they are thinking of stretching it out over 3 years)

Different coin repros/packaging. Possible half disme, large cent combo (silver/copper), half cent, large cent combo (copper), and a few other thoughts (including medals again). Pricing potentially starting $40+ (for the 2 coin copper set as well as the 1/20oz silver half disme and copper large cent).

They also were asking opinions of the different finishes and if they are doing too much there (proof, unc, EU, RP, UHR)

Medals must be popular with mint-buyer collectors.

In the 10 person group I was in, they weren't popular with any (yes, very small sample size) but were seen by up to 3 as "might buy if the design was really good and price was right".

The Mint must have scratched me off their list of potential interviewees many, many moons ago when I responded to an online question stating that the satin finish for the Mint Sets was a dumb idea.

Chris

I've completed their online surveys, but have not been invited to any face to face.

I'm "new" to buying from the U.S. Mint. All of my experiences with them over the past 3 years have been positive. I think they are trying to do new things based on customer feedback, however, not all of them will work.

It's impossible to please everyone. If you offer a limited mintage set (C&C sets with RP dollars) to satisfy those who asked for them, you'll tick off those who think everyone who wants one should get one. Ironically, it will be the later who then complain that the sets never increase in value.

Dealing with the U.S. general public is one of the most challenging endeavors in business. The thinking is so diverse and no one solution will please everyone. No matter what you do, some group of people will feel alienated.

Social media exacerbates the problem.