• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1927-D Standing Liberty Quarter??

6 posts in this topic

Why do the prices for the 3 rarest coin in the series seem to be lagging so much? I am wondering why this is? Were these saved by alot of people? With a Mintage of less than a million.. Whats the deal.... Is there gonna be a jump in the market you think on this date? I think this could be a good buy at almost any grade... What do you think about the date in general....

In my opinion, the greysheet is too low on the 1927-D. In fact, I would say it's too low on the 1926-D, and the 1917-D and S Type Two coins as well. Now, I'm speaking to grades that are more like VF through MS-63, but basically, it has been behind on these particular dates for a long time. On the other hand, it is too high on the common dates in grades of VF or lower, such as 1929, 1930 and 1930-S. These are just my observations from trying to fill numerous want lists over the past couple of years. I imagine Trends shows a similar problem in pricing.

James

Unfortunately, many price guides are not based on real transactions, but on what the authors "think" are appropriate values. I doubt you'll see any spikes in such published references. The very best reflection of the true market value of coins occurs when you try and fill want lists. Many coins are available for grey-sheet or less - much less in some cases. But some coins, like the 1927-D, there's just no way to get them at sheet, and even Trends is closer to wholesale.

Many other examples abound, such as either 1796 large cent, 1801 and 1802 bust halves, 1916 SLQs and even some "common" Indian cents, like 1898 in AU or MS-60. These coins simply cannot be had for even Trends, because Trends is way off on them.

If I were to graph the effort it took to find all the coins for my want lists, I could virtually list off the true semi-keys in several series just by looking at how long at which coins were the most difficult to find. I just might do this some day!

So in answer to your question, "no" I don't think we'll see that spike - in price guides. But when it comes to selling such a coin, hold out for top dollar!

James