• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Greg, who knows not what he posts...

5 posts in this topic

Since Greg didn't know what anything was about on his new 7 bell thaler, it made me feel equally comfortable posting on a coin that I bought from Greg that I know equally little about. laugh.gif But like Greg, I think this piece is utterly superb. The detail and beauty of the profile of the winged goddess (Marianne, I presume) are exquisite and rare in nearly any of the world's coinage.

The ships in the harbor behind Marianne are, I can only guess, symbolic of the West African coastal trade and merchant fleet. The old world antelope (don't know what kind) on the reverse is a great show of strength, surrounded by agricultural wreathing and ornamentation. GREAT coin!

And to boot, this is an Essai (trial) piece that is minted in copper-nickel. This is vastly more substantial and fetching than the aluminum circulation pieces. There is a light golden toning that gives way to a light powder blue at the peripheries. Overall, a fabulous piece. Thanks Greg!

726984-1948FrenchW.Africa1FrancEssaiKM-E1MS65NGC05-19.JPG

Hoot

726984-1948FrenchW.Africa1FrancEssaiKM-E1MS65NGC05-19.JPG.03ae636079c8677642ef3caecb12555f.JPG

Nice looking coin, the french colonial stuff has some of the most beautiful designs of all time! If you a little short of knowlege on these things that sounds like a grand opportunity to do some research.

You may turn into a full fledged world collector yet wink.gif

He's already well on his way...

-JamminJ

Nice looking coin, the french colonial stuff has some of the most beautiful designs of all time! If you a little short of knowlege on these things that sounds like a grand opportunity to do some research.

No doubt. The world of world coiin collecting is fantastically vast. French and British colonial minor coinage is of great fascination to me. The designs are captivating, the rarity and beauty are mesmerizing, and the history subtending each design is the tale of the time. The more I collect, the more I learn, the more I learn...

Thanks for the comments!

Hoot

I've always liked that design and accumulated a few of them. I never could quite call it a collection. I let my St. Pierre & Michelon go to someone that was more interested last year and then pretty much forgot about them. If you want it, I'll donate this aluminum bronze 20 Francs from Comoros to your budding collection. I have some more of the aluminum 1 and 2F coins around here somewhere, maybe some duplicates.

727456-1964comoros20f.jpg

727456-1964comoros20f.jpg.b42fdb40d4c264f4071c20e52fea35cf.jpg