• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top two Eagles on coins

32 posts in this topic

Thought it would be interesting to see the top two eagles portraits on coins. What do you think is the top two portraits????? US or World.....My top two:

Number 1:

LNa7TaHQ16530enWbjim_1940r.png

Number 2:

qfDvlC8qQn2mOeVYeSCp_1913ms64.png

Post yours: :cool:

I think many would disagree with this, but I'm partial to the eagle on the reverse of the Washington quarter (1932-1998)

3600940260_27bcc33354_zpsq08gq15e.jpg

According to my parents, when I was a little kid I didn't know the word "quarter" and called these coins "firebirds". My best guess as to why I called the Washington quarter "firebirds" is because one of the neighbors had a white Pontiac Firebird with the large blue and black decal on the hood, which reminded me of the eagle on the reverse of the quarter. And I thought that car was awesome. I still do.

I think many would disagree with this, but I'm partial to the eagle on the reverse of the Washington quarter (1932-1998)

3600940260_27bcc33354_zpsq08gq15e.jpg

According to my parents, when I was a little kid I didn't know the word "quarter" and called these coins "firebirds". My best guess as to why I called the Washington quarter "firebirds" is because one of the neighbors had a white Pontiac Firebird with the large blue and black decal on the hood, which reminded me of the eagle on the reverse of the quarter. And I thought that car was awesome. I still do.

NICE. .. (thumbs u

I like this stylized version, and would agree with the WLH.

1987CON-SET-5_zps18ccd440.jpg

Which coin is that one????? I like the super hero look

There's some really good eagles on a lot of our coins. But the best, I think, is on the Franklin:

Haha, I'm joking, of course. This one ranks right up there with the Flying Eagle Cent for "Worst Use of Eagle Motif"

1955FrankNms66FBLrev_04.jpg

Is that really an eagle on the Franklin half -- or is it a prototype chicken nugget?

RE: Washington quarter reverse. I was about10 before I realized is was an eagle and not a hanging bat.

Maybe I'm weird, but I've always liked the eagle on the $10 indian.

I always thought the eagle on the Saint looked a bit "fluffy" and prefer the $20 liberty eagle.

Is every eagle featured on a U.S. coin supposed to be a bald eagle?

Watching that slide show, some of the eagles look like golden eagles to me or some other kind of eagle.

To add: The eagle on the Mexican coins is supposed to be a golden eagle.

The small eagle on our early gold and silver doesn't look like any kind of eagle. Any ornithologists out there to make a guess?

The small eagle on our early gold and silver doesn't look like any kind of eagle. Any ornithologists out there to make a guess?

Pterodactyl?

jom

This eagle looks more like a pterodactyl to me than a bird ... I have admired it for years, however.

1795HalfDimeR.jpg1795HalfDimeO.jpg

The eagle on the reverse of the Washington Quarter was one of the main reasons I could never get into the series when I was kid collector. I thought it looked crowded and unattractive.

This one ranks right up there with the Flying Eagle Cent for "Worst Use of Eagle Motif"

Really Jason? I always thought that the Flying Cent, when it was well struck, was a very attractive coin, although there was nothing new about the design. Longacre lifted it from Gobrechet's reverse for his dollar.

Augustus St. Gaudens liked it too. It was the inspiration for the flying eagle that appeared on the reverse of the $20 gold piece.

1858CentO.jpg

1836GDollarR.jpg

The small eagle on our early gold and silver doesn't look like any kind of eagle.

The bird on the Turban Head Eagle looks like it could be a phoenix.

1796_eagle_reverse_zpsyyzvqwiz.jpg

A period depiction of a phoenix by Friedrich Justin Bertuch, 1806:

800px-Phoenix-Fabelwesen_zpsaiqpo2dt.jpg

This eagle looks more like a pterodactyl to me than a bird ... I have admired it for years, however.

1795HalfDimeR.jpg1795HalfDimeO.jpg

The eagle on the reverse of the Washington Quarter was one of the main reasons I could never get into the series when I was kid collector. I thought it looked crowded and unattractive.

I agree on the Washington.

BTW, that's a great half dime...love it! Tell us more!

jom

This one ranks right up there with the Flying Eagle Cent for "Worst Use of Eagle Motif"

Really Jason? I always thought that the Flying Cent, when it was well struck, was a very attractive coin, although there was nothing new about the design. Longacre lifted it from Gobrechet's reverse for his dollar.

Augustus St. Gaudens liked it too. It was the inspiration for the flying eagle that appeared on the reverse of the $20 gold piece.

Oh, I forgot about the Gobrecht. That's even worse.

And no, I've never liked the FE.

The small eagle on our early gold and silver doesn't look like any kind of eagle.

The bird on the Turban Head Eagle looks like it could be a phoenix.

1796_eagle_reverse_zpsyyzvqwiz.jpg

A period depiction of a phoenix by Friedrich Justin Bertuch, 1806:

800px-Phoenix-Fabelwesen_zpsaiqpo2dt.jpg

Amazing....both the coin and the similarity.

I'd have to go with the Flying Eagle Cent and the $10 Indian - and a couple possible kickers.

189c9b24-26bd-42cb-9ab3-59a575c388d2_zpsw7ymxeif.jpg

imagejpg4_zps21ef288c.jpg

027eacad-3219-42dc-b8d9-5d50f8019bb6_zpszizwy4kg.jpg

6f8a63d1-e1fe-49d8-9ecf-2fab157e2925_zpsxhljbymu.jpg

Bela Pratt's eagle was specifically intended to be anatomically correct. President Roosevelt recognized that the Saint-Gaudens eagle on his inaugural medal and the $10 coin was not a real Bald Eagle.

Is that really an eagle on the Franklin half -- or is it a prototype chicken nugget?

RE: Washington quarter reverse. I was about10 before I realized is was an eagle and not a hanging bat.

... biggrin297_zpssicvskpw.gif

...WOW! YOU SAID IT!! Some resemble a chicken at best!... :blush: