• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Even more So-Called Dollars!

20 posts in this topic

This year's FUN show was, for me, a bit lean. But what I did find was an excellent bullet sale of SC dollars! smile.gif It's taken me a while, but here are two new pieces from that sale.

The first is a wonderfully imaginative piece that Hibler and Kappen describe as a "standing heroic Indian figure" on the obverse. I think this is wrong. George Brewster (the designer of the medal) designed a famous sculpture that sits atop the Rhode Island Stae House entitled Independent Man. Independent Man is mostly naked with a loin cloth, of some sort, and a spear in the right hand. I think that this piece depicts a different version of Independent Man, as there is no Native American appearance or theme to the piece. Also, the luminous crown of thorns atop the man's head is not like anything Native American. And the figure, standing on the wings of an eagle and reaching for the sky, is more in keeping with the Independent Man attribute of self-attainment.

The reverse is self-explanatory. Neat piece made of brass. There are also apparently silver and copper pieces that are a fair bit rarer. This piece is listed as scarce - about 500 to 1500 pieces known.

By the way, I like the monogram to the right of the Americas - a stylized PAE for Pan-American Exposition.

The Expo was where President Wm. McKinley was assassinated.

721211-1901NYHK-289SC%241Pan-AmExpoMS64NGC.JPG

Hoot

589a8dc287979_721211-1901NYHK-289SC1Pan-AmExpoMS64NGC.JPG.fc7daeaaa40ef555eb584490ead17423.JPG

It seems like there were a bunch of major Expos in the U.S. around the turn of the 19th century. One of the biggies was the Louisiana Purchase Expo held in St. Louis in 1904. McKinley had invited the world to this Expo before his assassination, and despite his assassination at the Pan-Am Expo in 1901, ex-Pres Taft and then President Roosevelt attended the LA Purch Expo.

I rather like all of the attention paid to the Louisiana Purchase. It was a huge acquisition for the country. The whole Jefferson-Lewis and Clark-Sacagawea connection comes into focus with the event. I also love the gold one-dollar commemoratives of 1904 and 1905 - our only two-headed official U.S. coinage (I believe).

So, this SC dollar is really great for its commemoration and its design, which is fairly self-explanatory.

This piece is potentially misattributed as HK-303, I believe. Even in the photo, one can see vestiges of copper-red showing through. This piece is supposed to be bronze. Unless the bronze was strongly red, this is one of the "extremely rare" (5 to 20 pieces known) copper pieces, HK-301. Bronze is brown, typically, and there were yellow-bronze pieces made, but this piece is a strong copper-red underlying a thick chocolate-brown patina, similar to many Mint State large cents that are fully toned. It's a sweetie. cloud9.gif

721213-1904MOHK-303SC%241LAPurchExpoMS62BNNGC.JPG

Hoot

589a8dc28afbc_721213-1904MOHK-303SC1LAPurchExpoMS62BNNGC.JPG.de7410714bad143a2787606d3a72eda1.JPG

Let me know if you come across another of these or any other Lewis & Clark (related) finds. I'm trying to put together a collection displaying such items.

Chris

Those are absolutely fantasitc, Hoot! I have the first one you imaged in silver and it definitely is not the figure of a Native American. It also really doesn't remind me of the figure atop the Rhode Island State House as I pass that quite often and there isn't that much resemblance.

The Louisiana Purchase piece is way cool, but the Louisiana Purchase commemoratives are not the only official US coinage to feature two heads of state; the Sesquicentennial commemorative of 1926 has Washington and Coolidge on it. Of course, we could stretch the definition of a likeness even farther and include the modern Mt Rushmore commemoratives.

Those are absolutely fantasitc, Hoot! I have the first one you imaged in silver and it definitely is not the figure of a Native American. It also really doesn't remind me of the figure atop the Rhode Island State House as I pass that quite often and there isn't that much resemblance.

Hi Tom - You'd certainly have a better idea about Independent Man than I do. Let me show you the only photo I have of the fellow. The reason I thought the figure was a different version of Independent Man was due to the theme of the naked guy with the loin cloth placed high in the sky. laugh.gif And I still think that Brewster may have been working around all kinds of similar images in his head when he came up with the medallic sculpture, but I reckon we won't know unless someone who is a scholar on Brewster sets us right. It'd be interesting to know. And Brewster was certainly an American Sculptor of note.

721350-IndependentManbyGeorgeBrewster.jpg

The Louisiana Purchase piece is way cool, but the Louisiana Purchase commemoratives are not the only official US coinage to feature two heads of state; the Sesquicentennial commemorative of 1926 has Washington and Coolidge on it. Of course, we could stretch the definition of a likeness even farther and include the modern Mt Rushmore commemoratives.

What I meant by two-headed was two "heads sides" to the coin, no "tails." Just a loose reference, no matter what. wink.gif

Thanks Tom, as always, for your insights! cool.gif

Hoot

721350-IndependentManbyGeorgeBrewster.jpg.688021cd2ea92a4afdb12ca942634829.jpg

Actually, the image that you posted looks more like the SCD than I had been thinking, likely because when you actually see the statue on the top of the State House it appears about 10% as large as in your image. A little more seriously, the reason I had not really thought of the two as being so similar is because the SCD figure appears to be striving while the State House figure looks composed and in control.

Sorry about the misinterpretation as to the two heads! insane.gif

I think the only reason Hoot mentioned "Independant Man" was because that is the subject/title of the next piece of literature he is working on, and planning to send off to Disney for their review.

wink.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifwink.gif

I love so-called dollars. That first coin is simply wonderful and I adore that design. Fabulous.

I would check into the weight of the second coin. That may be the way you could tell for sure if your coin is copper or brass.

Thank you for sharing these with the rest of us. The coins, and the information. Excellent!

Hoot,

I love both of these designs, and your examples look great! I was at work today and just didn’t have the time to respond in a meaningful manner until now.

I’ll start by offering my comment on the HK-289. As you know, I have this same piece also and when I first researched my example I noticed that Hibler and Kappen described the figure as an Indian in their reference book. I was quite surprised by this because in my opinion there is nothing about the figure that lead me to believe that it was a Native American.

Because of the theme of this medal, the date it was minted, and the fact that the figure looks nothing like a Native American I came to the conclusion that Hibler and Kappen were most likely mistaken in their description on the figure. Of course this is just my opinion, but it certainly seems possible.

As for your Louisiana Purchase Expo medal, it is a wonderful piece and the rich chocolate brown tone adds immensely to its eye appeal. It would be really cool if it does turn out to be one of the 5 to 20 known copper issues! I have been keeping an eye out for an example of this medal to add to my collection. I hope I can find one as eye appealing as yours.

John

I would check into the weight of the second coin. That may be the way you could tell for sure if your coin is copper or brass.

Hi Darin! I think your idea is great. Specific gravity test? There's not a reference on the wieght of the copper or brass piece, so I'll have to resort to other measures! insane.gif

Hoot

Thanks John!

It's fun to speculate on the figure on the obverse of HK-289. Perhaps it's an abstraction of Daedalus! angel.gif

I'll keep you apprised of the status of the L&C SC$1. Might be time to crack it? makepoint.gifyeahok.gif

Hoot

OK - how many of ya noticed the star marking St. Louis ??

Nice pieces Hoot thumbsup2.gif

It was the very FIRST thing I noticed about the piece! smirk.gifwink.gif I also noticed that it's slightly too far north. laugh.gif

Hoot

Those are breathtaking pieces Hoot. cloud9.gif The Pan-American Expo piece is almost startling. It puts chillbumps on me just staring at the man. And knowing the history of the assasination makes it even more of an emotional piece. Thank-you for sharing. flowerred.gif

It seems like there were a bunch of major Expos in the U.S. around the turn of the 19th century. One of the biggies was the Louisiana Purchase Expo held in St. Louis in 1904. McKinley had invited the world to this Expo before his assassination, and despite his assassination at the Pan-Am Expo in 1901, ex-Pres Taft and then President Roosevelt attended the LA Purch Expo.

I rather like all of the attention paid to the Louisiana Purchase. It was a huge acquisition for the country. The whole Jefferson-Lewis and Clark-Sacagawea connection comes into focus with the event. I also love the gold one-dollar commemoratives of 1904 and 1905 - our only two-headed official U.S. coinage (I believe).

So, this SC dollar is really great for its commemoration and its design, which is fairly self-explanatory.

This piece is potentially misattributed as HK-303, I believe. Even in the photo, one can see vestiges of copper-red showing through. This piece is supposed to be bronze. Unless the bronze was strongly red, this is one of the "extremely rare" (5 to 20 pieces known) copper pieces, HK-301. Bronze is brown, typically, and there were yellow-bronze pieces made, but this piece is a strong copper-red underlying a thick chocolate-brown patina, similar to many Mint State large cents that are fully toned. It's a sweetie. cloud9.gif

721213-1904MOHK-303SC%241LAPurchExpoMS62BNNGC.JPG

Hoot

Chris (cpm9ball) reminded me of this medal. This piece was, indeed, misattributed and NGC fixed it. cloud9.gif Quite a rare bear and one of my faves - copper! yay.gif

Hoot