• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liberty Seated Half Dollar

3 posts in this topic

I was comparing my 1861 Liberty Seated Half Dollar to some other Liberty Seated coins I have and noticed that Liberty on all but the Half has a curl of hair on her shoulder?

Here is the Liberty Seated Dollar:

1861.jpg

Here is the Liberty Seated Half Dollar:

1861_half_dollar_obv.jpg

Here is the Liberty Seated Quarter:

1861_quarter_dollar_obv.jpg

Here is the Liberty Seated Dime:

1861_half_dime_obverse.JPG

Here is the Liberty Seated Half Dime:

1861_half_dime_obverse.JPG

Why is the half dollar different from the others?

Only the picture of the dollar is coming through for me, but if you look at the coins in more detail you will find that every obverse is different with the possible exception of the half dime and dime.

On the dime and half dime the shield is straight up and down on all the others it is tipped to the left.

The twenty cent piece has LIBERTY in relief instead of incuse and the figure of Liberty is smaller with the head and cap barely getting into the arc of stars.

On the quarter and half the rock is larger and on the half it meets the ground at a much sharper angle than on any of the others.

On the half the drapery at the elbow is much smaller than on any of the others.

On the half and dollar the stars point at the denticles, on all the others they point at each other.

On the dollar and half dollar the red stripes in the shield are in groups of three, on all the others they are in groups of two.

And of course as you mentioned on the half the right shoulder (viewers left) is bare.