• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage going cheap?

8 posts in this topic

I was quite suprised to see the coins that Heritage featured in their Numismatic News insert.Most of it was all little stuff(coins I can afford!)in the 1-3k range!Yes there was a few higher value coins but nothing big.

Does anyone know why they did this?Quite a difference from their Coin World ad,with many 50+k coins.Are they trying to change their image with us little folk?

Theres a very simp;e answer to this.Demographic of the readers.Just think coin world is the leading newspaper has a biger circulation and big wig coin collerctors read it.Numismatic News while a good publication has a demographic of people who are in the market for coins costing a couple thousand dollars.It's truely a smart move.

About a year and a half ago, I think at Central States, Heritage sent a representative to my table, and he scooped up around twenty coins, as I recall. All were priced at $200 or lower, but most were bust coins, and none were certified. Now, he did pick out the pieces that were very choice for their (low) grades, but I never did see these coins show up in their auctions. So, I assume they probably have want lists, or customers for such coins, and if they happen to overpurchase, I can see where they'd need to prune the excess inventory from time to time.

Theres a very simp;e answer to this.Demographic of the readers.Just think coin world is the leading newspaper has a biger circulation and big wig coin collerctors read it.Numismatic News while a good publication has a demographic of people who are in the market for coins costing a couple thousand dollars.It's truely a smart move.

No Coin World also had this insert,but I didn't get CW till a few days later.When I was referring to a CW ad,it was for the week before with many big shot coins.

I see what you're saying James,while I know that they do sell lower value coins in their auctions,mostly online.I never thought they would actually advertise them induvidually in a Numismatic publication.

BTW that 1870 dime may soon be mine! takeit.gif