• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sample Slabs and the History of Slabs. posted by MBC

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

An interesting history of slabbed coins & sample slabs.

In the new (May 2015) issue of The Numismatist, author David Schwager has written an interesting mini-history of slabs, particularly "Sample Slabs," which are becoming a collectible in their own. Schwager's article is very informative, not to mention interesting, and well worth reading. He also provides two interesting websites, sampleslabs.com, and samplecoinslabs.com, which provide a wealth of information. One website (sampleslabs.com) features photos of slabbed coins by companies which are no longer in business or have fallen by the wayside of NGC and PCGS. Schwager's article is well written, and the websites worth checking out. You may think twice about breaking out any old slabs after reading it.

See more journals by MBC

I wonder if anyone took over the sampleslabs.com website after Cameron Kiefer passed away? I remember lurking on the other site and his enthusiasm for the topic was amazing. Very sad.

If no one has taken it over maybe it can be cloned to preserve it...I'm guessing at some point a dormant site goes away.