• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about spiked chin half cent

10 posts in this topic

Part of a damaged die. Normal for the variety. Some have much more prominent defects than the one you posted.

This obverse was used on five varieties of 1804 half cents. Cohen #1 does not have the spiked chin markings. The injury occurred early during the production of Cohen die variety combination #5 and was subsequently used for varieties 6, 7 and 8. Cohen #7 is the scarcest, and the one offered in this Heritage sale, #8 is the most common.

When I was collecting these coins by die variety, the most common explanation for these markings was that a screw damaged the obverse die with the head making the spike and the threads impressing the marks below that. Now there are other theories, which I don't recall since I've been out of half cent die variety collecting for 20 years.

But---there are both relief and incuse marks....in somewhat different places, and the incuse marks are not uniformly spaced as one might expect for a threaded screw.....Hmmm...I think it was Mr. Cohen having a bit of fun at the mint! ;)

Never really paid attention, but she's sticking her tongue out at us as well!!

yes!!! she is an extremely popular in demand and desirable little sister

What would be a good max price to pay for this coin?

For this very coin around $3k would be a good catch IMO. Here is mine. Same grade

Mark

1804hcsccomp.jpg