• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few IHC's for your viewing pleasure

18 posts in this topic

TomT,

So the 85 has a provenence, SWEET!!! wink.gif

You would be correct about the 83, however I ddnt buy there. I wish I had as I could have saved a few bucks for another coin. My emotions sometimes get the best of me, and if I see something I like I just go for it.

I saw your display (and Larry's) of toned IHC's and was in amazement. You have some awesome toners. Seeing that set gave my inspiration to try to get a few of my own. These are not in the same class as yours but they are a start.

Dave

That second one that is nearly solid blue is terrific! Do you think these are ex-Pofsky/Raymond?

Ok TomB, you are going to make me prove my ignorance. I had heard of this hoard before but I am not too familiar with the details. Perhaps you could share your knowledge.

I was going to send you a PM on this subject, but thought the rest of the board may be interested also.

Dave

Dave, I sold the 1885 a while back only because I came across another 1885 that I liked just a little better. Your 1885 came out of the Boston area and may very well be a remnant of the Proskey Hoard. David Proskey was a prominent dealer in the late 19th and early 20th Century. He bought most of the leftover unsold minor coins from the Mint in the 1880s and 90s including Proof Indian Cents, then left them in their tissue paper until he sold them one by one. When Proskey passed away, the remainder of the Proofs were bought by Tatham Coin and Stamp in the Boston area, and that is where most of them were sold over the next several decades. Many of these proof Indians acquired beautiful purple/blue/magenta toning from resting undisturbed for decades in their original mint tissue paper. Rick Snow has an excellent article about the Proskey Hoard on his website.

Thank you for the kind words about Larry Shepherd's and my display of Proof Indian Cents at the Pittsburgh ANA. It seemed to draw a lot of attention. Now, if I could just convince Larry that color Proof Indians are now overvalued and convince him to sell his Proofs to me! smile.gif TomT.

TomT has given most of the details to this accumulation of coins, however, I added Raymond to the name because I believe that Wayte Raymond also bought a substantial number of these coins from the estate. Since Raymond lived near the Atlantic ocean, I have always assumed that the coins that had spots were the ones that Raymond owned. You know, copper and salt water... 893whatthe.gif

Dave, I sold the 1885 a while back only because I came across another 1885 that I liked just a little better. Your 1885 came out of the Boston area and may very well be a remnant of the Proskey Hoard. David Proskey was a prominent dealer in the late 19th and early 20th Century. He bought most of the leftover unsold minor coins from the Mint in the 1880s and 90s including Proof Indian Cents, then left them in their tissue paper until he sold them one by one. When Proskey passed away, the remainder of the Proofs were bought by Tatham Coin and Stamp in the Boston area, and that is where most of them were sold over the next several decades. Many of these proof Indians acquired beautiful purple/blue/magenta toning from resting undisturbed for decades in their original mint tissue paper. Rick Snow has an excellent article about the Proskey Hoard on his website.

Thank you for the kind words about Larry Shepherd's and my display of Proof Indian Cents at the Pittsburgh ANA. It seemed to draw a lot of attention. Now, if I could just convince Larry that color Proof Indians are now overvalued and convince him to sell his Proofs to me! smile.gif TomT.

Great info and great coins. The reverse of the 1885 is incredible.

Bigmoose, I'm very impressed with your posts. Stick around and ed-u-ma-cate us some more. thumbsup2.gif