• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Finds

6 posts in this topic

At Work!

I work in a credit union, so I am lucky enough to have access to a large supply of coin and currency to look through.

This morning, I was auditing one of my tellers and I came across a yellowish colored nickel. Immediately, I flipped it over and saw the large 'D' over Monticello. She is is a 1945 Jefferson beauty.

A member came in and asked if we had any silver dollars. I laughed to myself, thinking that if any ever came in, they would not be going home with anyone but me. :)

I hope you're all finding something for your collections.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Marcus, I was wondering if you could hold any double eagles that come into the credit union for me. I'll gladly overnight you a check for $20 + return shipping for the coin....(tongue in cheek).

Marcus

I went to my CU several years back and asked about 50 cent halves. The teller looked in her drawer and pulled out a Franklin! I couldn't believe I was able to but a $15 coin for face value. I started to hit up all the local banks. I soon realized how many banks were out there. I scored few Kennedy's, but only a few were silver clad.

So what I would like to know is what is an appropriate way to go about hitting up banks for coins? Sometimes it seems like they are reluctant to look thru their drawers or even sell them.

Joe

Marcus,

Unless the person asking for the silver dollars was in their 70s or older then most likely what they were asking for was Eisenhower dollars. Today's generation does not know silver dollars. They might have even thought that Banks sold commemorative silver dollars (the 1982 silver half-dollar commemorative was sold and Banks in both proof and uncirculated finish).

Just a thought

John