• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NT or AT?

39 posts in this topic

The question whether or not the TPGs were right or wrong on whether the coins were AT or NT isn't the issue. It is a case of market acceptability. In both cases the TPGs felt these were MA and have given the appropriate guarantee by grading it. It is the TPGs responsibility now if anything happens (such as the coin turning in the holder or whatever).

If the TPG is willing to do the guarantee then they have the right to call it MA.

Whether these coins were "cooked" is another matter entirely. Personally, I wouldn't purchase either one but I'm not a PD fan anyway...

jom

I'm not aware that the TPGs guarantee coins won't turn in the holder.

Is there any aspect of the coin grading guaranteed, beyond the entity rendering an opinion of the coin?

I am not referring to obvious bloopers that may be damage while the coin is in their possession, or mislabeling or mechanical errors, etc.

Mr. Jom is indicating there is an appropriate guarantee by grading the coin. I have tried to reasonably interpret the language of the TPGs, and confess I am not able to conclusively state there is a guarantee, appropriate or not.

You are paying to have your coin sonically sealed in a plastic/acrylic container. They are throwing the opinion in for free.

The question whether or not the TPGs were right or wrong on whether the coins were AT or NT isn't the issue. It is a case of market acceptability. In both cases the TPGs felt these were MA and have given the appropriate guarantee by grading it. It is the TPGs responsibility now if anything happens (such as the coin turning in the holder or whatever).

If the TPG is willing to do the guarantee then they have the right to call it MA.

Whether these coins were "cooked" is another matter entirely. Personally, I wouldn't purchase either one but I'm not a PD fan anyway...

jom

I'm not aware that the TPGs guarantee coins won't turn in the holder.

Well...alright...then....you are correct...I was wrong.

The TPG is just another opinion and take it for what it's worth. Many people in this thread felt they were questionable yet the TPGs rendered a decision of MA.

It guess it just matters what each person thinks: Do you like it or not? I suppose that is the best answer....

jom

yes, many times I like toned coins that others do not. Are you going to send them to CAC? Thanks.

Most likely I will sell my coins and other collectables fifteen or twenty years from the present. By that time CAC stickers will probably possess very little, if any, relevance in regards to the existing market.

However, I will consider such options, if they exist, when the time comes to sell.

yes, many times I like toned coins that others do not. Are you going to send them to CAC? Thanks.

Most likely I will sell my coins and other collectables fifteen or twenty years from the present. By that time CAC stickers will probably possess very little, if any, relevance in regards to the existing market.

I wasn't collecting back when PCGS/NGC/ANACS started slabbing, but I wonder if people thought the same thing, about them, back then....????

I wasn't collecting back when PCGS/NGC/ANACS started slabbing, but I wonder if people thought the same thing, about them, back then....????

I do not know, but I can think of a scenario where they might not be as relevant in fifteen or twenty years. If CAC's popularity continues to grow to the point that the slab and what is written on it and who produced it become secondary, who puts the coins in them will no longer be relevant to the market. Only the sticker on the slab will matter.