• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My New Tiny Trime - *Grade Revealed*

39 posts in this topic

Where is Mr. McKnowitall when you need him.

Since no one else can answer my question I know he can.

Nobody should ever rely on me, or my opinion, nor should accolades be conferred on the basis of assumption of a reliable response, except when the assumption of response is requested derisively. That will always provoke the reliable response of "silly".

Great coin! I was more in line with >= 65 guesses but I was unsure whether the coin was Proof or not. I just don't collect proof coins in general (if any they'd be modern gold) so I wasn't sure of the PL designation. But certainly PL would apply if it was an MS coin....

Whatever the case, very nice pick up!

jom

jom, let it here be known from this time forward that Jason collects Proof-Like coins. Don't be fooled by his guess the grade posts that he is showing Proof coins. Jason is building the greatest PL set in the history of mankind! So next time you will know for sure to put PL in your grading judgement. (thumbs u ;)

Best, HT

Very nice 3-cent silver coin, but I think MS67 is generous given the obverse defects.

I think wdrob still needs an answer.

The planchet stock used for this coin was seemingly, highly prepared. Additionally, as Jason indicated, the die markers suggest this coin was struck using (formerly) proof dies. Therefore, as I understand it the major difference must be that proof coinage is double struck where business strikes get one hit and are ejected.

Opinions?

I noticed that you said that it was proof dies that struck that piece, yet it was not a proof.

Would the factor differentiating a proof from your probable PL only be the planchet preparation? What else would separate it from being a proof?

I think wdrob still needs an answer.

The planchet stock used for this coin was seemingly, highly prepared. Additionally, as Jason indicated, the die markers suggest this coin was struck using (formerly) proof dies. Therefore, as I understand it the major difference must be that proof coinage is double struck where business strikes get one hit and are ejected.

Opinions?

Good question, sorry I hadn't answered it yet.

The difference between a proof and a business strike is that proofs are struck twice, usually on specially prepared planchets, and usually at higher pressures.

Prooflike business strikes receive none of these special treatments - they are struck once, on regular planchets, with regular pressures. Assuming this coin is indeed a prooflike striking, there was absolutely no special preparation of the planchet. I have an off-center PL dime (a modern Roosevelt) which proves this - the unstruck portion looks like a regular planchet, the struck portion is fully prooflike. This proves that the PL effect comes solely from the die. This is also why prooflike coinage is rare - even when a die does have a prooflike finish, the friction of striking a coin will quickly wear away the mirrors.

So, my coin here is mirrored due only to the fact that the die is mirrored.

Great coin! I was more in line with >= 65 guesses but I was unsure whether the coin was Proof or not. I just don't collect proof coins in general (if any they'd be modern gold) so I wasn't sure of the PL designation. But certainly PL would apply if it was an MS coin....

Whatever the case, very nice pick up!

jom

jom, let it here be known from this time forward that Jason collects Proof-Like coins. Don't be fooled by his guess the grade posts that he is showing Proof coins. Jason is building the greatest PL set in the history of mankind! So next time you will know for sure to put PL in your grading judgement. (thumbs u ;)

Best, HT

You don't need to feed my ego, HT. It's big enough already ;) Thanks for the compliments though!

Thanks for that good explanation Jason.

I remember only portions of Roger's book. Probably need to read it once again.

I think the Trime is very nice and probably pops thunderously in hand. I only went as low as I did on my opinion since I believe too, as someone here mentioned, they seem to be tougher on Proofs.

Proofs were struck on a medal press with one blow, not two. Planchets were usually polished as well as the dies. A proof die in good condition that was later used for circulation strikes would make several proof-like coins until the die surface was degraded by the normal planchets and metal fatigue.

The final step in coin strip preparation was pulling the strip through polished dies on the drawbench. For very thin strip as used for 3-cent silver coins (not called "trimes" by the mint) this could easily leave a semi-mirror surface on the metal -- although usually accompanied by parallel striations.