• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorites of the year

20 posts in this topic

A copycat post, to say the least. But one I told JJ I would do and finally decided to get around to doing it. I'll start off with some coins from France.

1365%20%20franc%20a%20pied%20obv.jpg

1365%20%20franc%20a%20pied%20rev.jpg

The franc a' pied struck in 1365. This was the coin issued by Charles V of France after the death of his father Jean le bon in 1365 during the 100 Years War. Charles then set about to reorganize the French army and retake most of the English held areas of France. At his death in 1380, the only areas of France held by the English were Calais & Guyenne.

The Louis d'or a' la meche longue of Louis XIV, the Sun King, struck at the Paris mint in 1648.

698555-1648Louisd%5C%27orobv.jpg

698555-1648Louisd%5C%27orrev.jpg

Louis' reign was the longest and most glorious in French history. He ascended the throne at the age of 5 in 1643 and ruled until 1715. It was a reign fraught with many wars, and many victories. Louis was a dedicated patron of the arts & sciences and did much to promote them throughout the continent for during his reign France was the leading power in Europe. He was also a well known coin collector and his cabinet became the foundation of the nation's future national collection.

589a8da3aacf1_698555-1648Louisdorrev.jpg.2e1b851225a8f0a6d97defa0bd90649f.jpg

I was going to post only examples of gold coins, but this particular coin is worthy of being included here. It is the 1650 half ecu struck at the Limoges mint.

1650-I%20half%20ECU%20ms64%20obv.jpg

1650-I%20half%20ECU%20ms64%20rev.jpg

With a mintage of only 10,913 and its high grade, the coin is scarce in and of its own right. But with the extra letter, F, in the legend it might even be considered rare by some. I have checked with various people around the world trying to find an explanation for this extra letter. But I have only ever been able to find one other example of this variety and no confirmed explanation. The coin is unlisted as such in any book or catalog. It is graded and slabbed by NGC as MS64.

This next coin is the 1648-W Louis d’or au bandeau of Louis XV struck at the Lille mint; graded and slabbed by NGC as MS64.

698661-1748-WLouisD%5C%27Orobv.jpg

698661-1748-WLouisD%5C%27Orrev.jpg

Louis XV, le Bien Aimie ( the well beloved ) survived the death of his entire family. This helped make him quite popular with the French population during his early reign. He was the grandson of Louis XIV, and like his grandfather ascended the throne at the age of 5 in 1715. Louis ruled under the guidance of regents until 1743 when he decided to govern himself. But he was always under the influence of others, in particular his mistresses which included madamme de Pompadour and the comtesse Du Barry. Louis was very indecisive and quite timid, and in general had a policy of appeasement in European politics. This led him to be quite unpopular with the people by the end of his reign and he died as one of the most unpopular kings of France.

589a8da3ad8d7_698661-1748-WLouisDOrrev.jpg.83e227999f5ca01b20aa50f2c97d7a55.jpg

The 1848-A 20 franc struck at the Paris mint was among the coins which ushered in the Second Republic; graded and slabbed by NGC as MS65.

1848-A%2020%20francs%20obv.JPG

1848-A%2020%20francs%20rev.JPG

The design of the French angel Genie inscribing the Constitution on a tablet was first used during the French Revolution in 1791. It is known as the lucky French angel, and legend has it the designer, Dupre, had a coin bearing this design in his pocket when he was saved from the guillotine. The design was to be used several times on various coins until the beginning of the 20th century.

The Venetian ducat – the coin that became famous for being the longest continuously struck coin in the world.

1400%20Venetian%20ducat%20obv.jpg

1400%20Venetian%20ducat%20rev.jpg

The Venetian ducat was first struck in 1274 by the Doge of Venice, Lorenzo Tiepolo. They continued to be struck with the same basic design for the next 700 yrs. This example was struck by the Doge Michele Steno 1400-1413. It is graded and slabbed by NGC as MS63.

The franc a’ cheval – the first time the denomination was used.

698667-1346CavalierD%5C%27Orobv.jpg

698667-1346CavalierD%5C%27Orrev.jpg

The franc a’ cheval was issued during the reign of Jean le Bon ( John II ), King of France between 1361- 1364. Struck during the 100 Years War, this coin was issued for one purpose – it was to pay the ransom for the French King being held by the English. Jean was captured in battle in 1356 by the Black Prince, Edward, of England. He was taken to England and held hostage while gold for the ransom was raised. Then in 1363, approximately 600,000 of the 3 million gold ecu’s was paid to England and Jean was released. Soon thereafter, Jean’s son Charles refused to pay the next installment of the ransom. Wishing to maintain his honor and ashamed of his son’s actions, Jean voluntarily returned to England and captivity. He died there in 1365.

This particular example was struck under the authority of the Count Louis de Malle in the Netherlands; it is graded and slabbed by NGC as MS64.

589a8da3b01f2_698667-1346CavalierDOrrev.jpg.41500dd37cd6d6854ad427bb9af70e21.jpg

The Real d’or, was struck in the Austrian Netherlands at the Antwerp mint between 1546 - 1556 during the reign of Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor; graded and slabbed by NGC as AU55.

698668-1546-56AustNethreald%5C%27orobv.JPG

698668-1546-56AustNethreald%5C%27orrev.JPG

Not since Charlemagne in the early 9th century had any one ruler dominated so much of Europe. While Charles V's (known as Carlos I in Spain) Spanish subjects were exploring and claiming for Spain vast overseas territories in Central and South America. Hernan Cortes, the conqueror of Mexico, began to refer to his sovereign as "ruler of the world." Charles spoke of himself as "God's standard bearer," and his banner bore the legend plus ultra - "always further" or "plus more". This motto later became famous as part of the legend on the well known Spanish pillar dollar. And the very first coins struck in the Americas also bore the now famous legend - Carlos & Johanna.

Charles V was heir to several crowns. Actually born in the Netherlands, he ruled Spain, the Netherlands, the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, and important cities in Italy such as Naples & Milan. He was elected Emperor of Germany. He owned enormous oversea dominions in Africa; and the two Americas soon became New Spain. And he had claims to the thrones of Hungary and Bohemia. He governed each part of his European dominions by a different title and under a different constitution. He had no fixed imperial capital, but moved about from place to place, a legitimate sovereign everywhere and, for the most part, a popular one as well.

589a8da3b2823_698668-1546-56AustNethrealdorrev.JPG.1e91fadb18c48140a1c895988951b07e.JPG

The Venetian ducat – the coin that became famous for being the longest continuously struck coin in the world.

1400%20Venetian%20ducat%20obv.jpg

1400%20Venetian%20ducat%20rev.jpg

The Venetian ducat was first struck in 1274 by the Doge of Venice, Lorenzo Tiepolo. They continued to be struck with the same basic design for the next 700 yrs. This example was struck by the Doge Michele Steno 1400-1413. It is graded and slabbed by NGC as MS63.

Beautiful coin. What is up with the surface on it?

The Rose Noble, struck ( I believe ) in 1579 at the Utrecht mint in the Netherlands.

698671-1579RoseNobleobv.jpg

698671-1579RoseNoblerev.jpg

In 1579 a number of the northern Netherlands provinces signed the Union of Utrecht. The Union of Utrecht ( Unie van Utrecht) is a treaty signed on January 23, 1579 in Utrecht, the Netherlands, unifying the northern provinces of the Netherlands, until then under control of Spain. The Union of Utrecht is regarded as the foundation of the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands.

698671-1579RoseNoblerev.jpg.ab17b508d8fea9d55a752b32c0330e4b.jpg

The Netherlands gold ducat, struck at the Holland mint in 1595; graded and slabbed by NGC as AU58.

1595%20Netherlands%20ducat%20AU58%20obv.jpg

1595%20Netherlands%20ducat%20AU58%20rev.jpg

First issued in 1586, the obverse of the coin shows a knight holding a bundle of arrows. The bundle of arrows signify the unity of the northern provinces which banded together and signed the Union of Utrecht in 1579 which was their declaration of independence from Spain. The motto on the obverse - CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESCUNT (union makes small things grow ) is also a symbol of that unity. It has never been exactly determined how the the legend of the reverse - MONETA ORDINUM PROVINCIARUM FOEDERATARUM BELGII AD LEGEM IMPERII ( coin of the provinces of the United Netherlands according to the law of the empire ) came to be. But it was perhaps copied from a Moroccan dinar.

Over the years the design was changed very little and the specifications of 3.5 grams of .986 gold never altered. Even today, the Netherlands still issues this coin as a collector's item and bullion coin. After more than 400 years it still has the same basic design and the same specifications. It is surpassed only by the Venetian ducat as the coin with the greatest longevity.

Beautiful coin. What is up with the surface on it?

Nothing is up really - that is typical of these coins when found in mint state and struck with fairly new dies. Personally I attribute it to the method of die manufacture.

Louis XV, le Bien Aimie ( the well beloved ) survived the death of his entire family. This helped make him quite popular with the French population during his early reign. He was the grandson of Louis XIV, and like his grandfather ascended the throne at the age of 5 in 1715. Louis ruled under the guidance of regents until 1743 when he decided to govern himself. But he was always under the influence of others, in particular his mistresses which included madamme de Pompadour and the comtesse Du Barry. Louis was very indecisive and quite timid, and in general had a policy of appeasement in European politics. This led him to be quite unpopular with the people by the end of his reign and he died as one of the most unpopular kings of France.

Wasn't he the one who uttered the statement "After me the deluge?"

-JamminJ

That's really an impressive set of coins, I'll bet you could build a top ten registry set with them! insane.gif

I'm glad you found the time to post them all here.

The Charles V is my favorite, followed by the Venitian ducat and then the bigger Netherlands coin. Truly astounding that these coins have lasted sop long in such high grade as gold it such a transient medium for artwork.

-JamminJ

Wasn't he the one who uttered the statement "After me the deluge?"

-JamminJ

Most interpret it as, after me the flood - but no he did not. You are correct though that many think he did.

Who are the guys on this coin? Jesus? Patron Saint? the Doge?

-JamminJ

Correct in all three - the obverse has the Doge kneeling before St. Mark the patron saint of Venice. And the reverse has Jesus with one hand raised in benediction and the other holding the gospel.