• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Services: Coin Photography

12 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am currently offering a special until the end of the month: $3/coin for basic imaging (front/back, single image of both sides, plus slab front/back if applicable.) Unlimited quantity!

I'd like to take a moment to offer my services as a coin photographer to collectors and dealers here at CS. I've been photographing coins for a few years now with some great results, both for myself and for work. (I work for a local auctioneer as well as consigning coins for a local coin shop - these would be great references if you would like them.) I'm sure many here would throw in a good word for my photos I've posted here. I'll provide some images with the ad for you to get a small sample of my work. Here's my WEBSITE if you'd like to take a closer look.

Just in case you were wondering, why have your coins imaged?

1) For your own personal records and insurance purposes.

It's a great idea to have your best coins professionally imaged for your own records (in case they are lost, stolen, or need to be sold, or need to be inventoried for insurance purposes.) Someone has made off with your coins? You can quickly communicate EXACTLY what they look like, including toning, minor scratches and dings that can be used to identify an individual coin. Also, if you should suddenly pass away, your family will already be set up to appraise and sell your collection quickly and easily.

2) For resale.

Have you ever needed to sell your coins, but couldn't get good photos of them, and so they wouldn't sell at the prices you want? With your coins already imaged, all you have to do is find the coin, find the photos, and list it. Prospective buyers will be able to see the exact coin they are getting, and professional quality imaging will really make your collections' beauty stand out. Large auction houses like Heritage and Stacks/Bowers employ professional coin photographers for exactly this purpose.

3) For attribution and information gathering.

Have a rare variety or error that you'd like some information/opinions on? Have a coin that you'd like to figure out the grade (condition), but you're not that confident in your grading skills? Having a professionally imaged coin makes it easy - just post the image online for other collectors to help you out. This has REALLY helped me a lot, especially with varieties and errors!

4) For the hobby and your enjoyment.

Have you got some beautiful coins you'd like to ENJOY on a more regular basis, but you don't - because your coins are locked away in a safe or safety deposit box? With great images, you can keep your coins safely tucked away and STILL GET TO LOOK AT THEM! Plus, if you share your collection with others, it will help others appreciate your collection and help the hobby continue to grow.

The Details:

Basic coin imaging includes a full-resolution image of the obverse (front) and reverse (back) of your coin, plus an edited single image containing both images side by side (3 photos.) If the coin is slabbed (in a graded holder), this will also include a full shot of the entire slab (5 photos.)

The normal cost for this service is as follows:

1-10 coins: $5/coin

11-25 coins: $4/coin

26 or more: $3/coin

This price can be negotiated for larger quantities of coins. If requested, I can also included downsized versions (smaller file sizes) that are great for websites (they don't take as long to load) and some auction formats (eBay has a maximum file size of 7 MB/image, and AuctionZip has a max of only 4 MB.) Shipping to/from me is paid by the owner of the coins.

In addition, I can image varieties (have a doubled die you'd like to show off, but can't zoom in that closely?) and errors. Without images of these small variations in the coin's details, it is often difficult to sell a variety for a premium over the normal coin.

I can also create custom computer wallpapers, phone backgrounds, business cards, etc. Anything you want! Once I've taken the images, manipulating them into different formations and formats is relatively simple.

I will include some sample images I've taken over the past year. Without these images, I would NEVER have sold them for anywhere close to their full value. The 1932 China $1 coin sold last year on eBay for $4,800 - to someone from Hong Kong who had only my images to reference.

Here are some of my favorite images:

China-19321Dollarcopy_zps33051fcc.jpg

1897BarberQuarter_zps48ade6e1.jpg

1941DJeffersonNickel3_zps03579a1c.jpg

1942PJeffersonNickel_zps2bc3054e.jpg

India-1921OneRupee_zps3e494196.jpg

1972SIkeDDO-Obverse3_zpsd5298d2f.png

Canada1967MintSet_zps4e89b98e.png

Thank you for the shout out! It makes me smile when someone pays such a wonderful compliment...completely unsolicited. That kind of stuff keeps me thinking there's hope for our culture...lol

I'd like to add that I'm very open to "negotiation" for multiple coins. I can see how $5/coin would make some wince a bit...we do LOVE to spend our money on coins, right?

I've updated the text on my site to include the following rates:

Thank you for the shout out! It makes me smile when someone pays such a wonderful compliment...completely unsolicited. That kind of stuff keeps me thinking there's hope for our culture...lol

I'd like to add that I'm very open to "negotiation" for multiple coins. I can see how $5/coin would make some wince a bit...we do LOVE to spend our money on coins, right?

I've updated the text on my site to include the following rates:

As someone who knows very well how much work this is, those rates are extremely fair.